Saturday, February 18, 2023

Fun in ice


 My wayward son and his girlfriend came to visit on Friday. Of course Emily's little girl Amari was the highlight. I'm just a sucker for little ones...no matter what!

They call her Mari. And pronounce it Mar-eee. For whatever reason, Mari decided I was okay and made her intentions always clear with her hands with the universal 'kid' sign of UP! UP!

Come on, who cannot have their heart melted by a little one like this!


To be sure, she was also fascinated by my Skunk Hat. 


The trail was beaten down into pure ice and we all wore ice cleats except the little one. We took turns carrying her or steering her by her hood. It involved a lot of 2 year old gibberish and sometimes yelling by Mari. I told mom and son to let her holler all she wanted, we were in the 'wild' woods and it didn't bother me at all. 

After all, she has immense energy. Cold fresh air and a hike would be great for her after a 4 hour car ride.

To get into the ice caves/shelters is not easy on a good day. This day it was all ice from the recent rains. Mari has no fear at all. Here is a pre slide check. Emily is down the icy path ready for catching her daughter. Mari loved it.


Here Mari decides to run to me across the slippery ice.


Group shot. I set my little pocket camera on a mini tripod and set the delay for 30 seconds. I slid down the ice formation to the others and scrambled to get in the shot. My son was like: BE Careful Mom! And we all laughed when I slid past them to the dirt.


We ended out trek at Weister Creek's ice formations and headed back to the car.

My youngest, Mari, and I:

and Weister Creek:

I have to admit I had fun. It was a difficult hike with a little one and we did it. 

Next time I told them we'd take an easy trail that we could take a stroller on. Yeah...maybe! 

11 comments:

  1. Wow, you start them young!! Are they staying the weekend? You got some happy family shots and the creek photo is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Emily has to work night shifts this weekend. All children in our family are adventurous when they are young. Well, at least so far!
      That creek is always the last stop and always beautiful in every season.
      :)

      Delete
  2. Well, relatives I didn't know you had! High jinks on the ice there. These are lovely pictures and I'm glad you set up the group shot. Too bad there wasn't a fourth person to witness your slide into home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wished my son had that on his cell phone video...it would have really been funny!
      Yes, I have two grown sons and they are always up for adventure when either one of them visits.

      Delete
  3. Your joyful face says it all! Especially the photo when the little one is running towards you. Pretty sure I've said this before, but wow do you and your younger son look a lot alike!

    Great reflections on that last photo. Just beautiful! With the bottom edges of the ice neatly trimmed and the stillness of it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ice stops where the Creek was when it was frozen, the level drops as it thaws. Pretty cool huh?
      Yes, I enjoyed this visit a lot.

      Um, we look alike? LOL! Hopefully without the beard!

      Delete
  4. Such a cutie pie! I would just melt if I saw Mari! What a fun day, I bet she was tired on the way home! So fun to see through their eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cutie your Mari is! So glad you had a good hike and visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cool ice cave! The kid will look back on these photos and try to remember those times. Fuzzy as they may be, a picture helps jog the memory. I can only imagine how children view those places, when adults view them with the same wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose Mari may not remember this trip, except perhaps for the very strange lady that wore a Skunk on her head! :)

      Delete
  7. Quite and adventure. I am not good with ice anymore. You visits to that cave are so great.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.