Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Winter Storm Olive?

 Uh OH!

The Weather Channel named this storm: Olive.

The headlines read: Winter Storm Olive's Cross Country Trek will Pack Blizzard Conditions, Heavy Snow, and Ice. It will be a multi day event.

Well now. What a perfect time to need a repair person or a new home heater/furnace, right?

We may be south of the heaviest snow line? We may get heavy wet snow and then lots of ice and winds?

I spent all of Monday reading books and waiting for the Tech to call us. Yes, we have cell service, but no cell service in most parts of our house. We are in a hollow and have a house with a metal roof. I can make calls on the porch and I can always get texts, but phone calls don't always come through.

So we need a land line.

This morning it is 12 degrees outside with winds. Thank goodness, we are not on the ridge top and in the winds. It would feel much colder in the open.


Well, February snow storms are not unheard of around here, we've had lots of them in the past.

Feb 20th 2019:



Feb 24th 2019:


Feb 18th 2020:


I guess some snow would be fine. I'm not looking forward to any ice or winds though.


We'll see how this plays out. If we have power and stay warm I won't worry. Thankfully, I had the sense to hire someone this winter to plow us out if needed too!

I guess I can polish up my snowshoes and charge up my pocket camera so I can at least enjoy the storm if it hits.





Update ~~

I don't know why I didn't think of them before but when I ran errands I stopped at the Vet's office and saw the billboard for the Plumbing Company I used last year. 608 Plumbing For All of Your Plumbing and Heating Needs!

A tech will be out today to assess the situation and give recommendations for a new heater and hopefully get the old one running well enough to be safe.

Really. I do read billboards, but rarely ever really take note of them.











9 comments:

  1. Looks like your Olive called up the storm gods while doing that posing/dance at KVR on Sunday ;) Seriously tho, I hope someone gets back to you on your furnace soon. Step One to get 'er done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed that the company hasn't responded especially since I indicated that we'd purchase a heater from them.
      If no response from them by noon, I'll be calling their competition.

      Delete
  2. I admire your intrepid attitude to a major storm and a busted furnace. And let's hope someone, anyone, responds to a customer eager to fill their wallet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boud, thank you. My house should probably be considered a cottage or tiny home. It originally had only a bit over 800 sq ft. and now is a bit larger but not much.
      There is a blog I wrote to follow the remodel, but this entry in 2015 will sort of show you how small our place is.
      I consider us lucky to have such a small place. It is easy to heat and care for.

      https://littlehouseremodel.blogspot.com/2015/03/a-little-bit-about-little-house.html

      Delete
  3. After tons of no-shows for an estimate, we found a great plumbing and heating company one town over. It is great to have someone you can trust. We also found a great electrian. Stay warm! Here in Northern Ohio, instead of a blizzard we expect 63 degrees this Wednesday. Mother Nature has lost her mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I've called this 608 company twice in one year and both times they've had somebody out on the same day. Their service folks are incredible. I have no idea why I forgot that they did heating too.

      Delete
  4. They don't respond to you? Hopefully the completion will. We are in the path of the storm. It hasn't started yet but is expected in about an hour. Predicting 2 feet. And cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tech from 608 came out and will fix the motor on the LP heater and give us a quote for a min split which will cool and heat our tiny house. We'll keep the LP heater for back up.
      Plus this company will maintain and come out generally on the same day you call!
      I guess I don't have to hunt around for repair plumbing and heating any more.

      The storm is headed this way. We don't know what we will get yet we are right on the in between of lots of snow or lots of sleet and ice.

      Delete
  5. Just read the reply to Sandra. So glad you got someone to come out! The storm is South of us. Hope you keep power and have no ice:(

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.