Monday, February 06, 2023

Charging into the week ahead

This week will mostly be a rinse and repeat of the previous week. I had to make some quick adjustments had to find a back up ride for the early morning surgery on Thursday.

The problem with a February thaw is that it just as annoying as a large storm. Warm temps with snow melt cause creeks to rise and gravel road surfaces to thaw. At night it freezes and ice ruts form in the roads. 

The weather service calls for rains and some winds along with thaws and freezing. So it should be a rather fun week. In years past, I've enjoyed these quick thaws when the creek rose with a foamy snow melt. I won't be able to enjoy it much this time around.

The day before surgery, I decided to make a dark/light box with the wood blocks I had saved for kids to play with when visiting.

I'd been reading a site called Brick Central which had tips and tricks regarding photography and Lego characters.

I came up with this:


The red light is from an LED flashlight and an old red film filter that I got from my dad years ago to use in black and white photography. I tossed a piece of black material over blocks in back and eventually got this:


The Lego minifigure is Maisie, the big Dinosaur is called Blue, and the little one is called Beta. These details I got from the box. I guess they are characters from the movie Jurassic World which I have not seen.

I had so much fun with the lights, I tried another method.

I used a piece of blue paper--with a blueish colored filter over the lens-- and a blue balloon light hidden behind a rock to light up the Acorn Guy.
I added the mist afterwards. 


It was a very fun experiment in lighting and creativity.
Oh, and I ordered a Light Box as I was so impressed by some of Larry's photos of old toy cars he'd done in his new light box.
If I have to be stuck inside for many video and phone appointments, I may as well use my time challenging myself in learning new methods of photography.

Sunday night I went hiking in the moon light. Since my normal hiking pal couldn't go, I grabbed my camera and tripod and took off.
I wasn't sure what I was going to do.
The light from the moon was incredible.


That is a deer trail that is in the exact same spot over the snow, year after year. So I set the camera up in the road and decided to have some fun.


Coveralls and my Skunk hat. I even laid down in the snow. I may as well! The snow will be melting!

I walked down the road a ways and tried another multi shot. This didn't turn out so well and the images are sort of blurry, but it still was fun to do. At least you can see Skunky!


I topped of the evening with a star trail photo of the Big Dipper.




I was out for about an hour and walked a couple of miles [I saw no one at all, not even a coyote!].

And then headed back home by the light of the moon.





How's the eye doing? Great! I am looking forward to the second surgery. 
I think the hardest part of this process is adjusting to the changes in vision and for me having one strong clear eye and one very yuck eye. My weak eye gets very tired right now trying to keep up with the good one.



12 comments:

  1. love the stars/ Walking in the winter snow at night is very peaceful .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was very peaceful. I wanted to enjoy the snow before it went away.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad your surgery was so successful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So far so good and on to the other eye!

      Delete
  3. Those light boxes are kind of fascinating. And eerie! You are a creative, that's a for sure. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never grown out of play, I guess. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. You had some great fun with the photos. I think that your eyes are fighting right now before the next surgery, at least that is how I would have described my eyes when one was done:) Glad you found a ride!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding. My eyes vs my brain. I have to close my eyes for most of the afternoon right now as my eyes get angry with each other.

      Delete
  5. I thought about getting a light box back in my film days, for "controlled" light photos. It would be another dust collector. You on the other hand will put one to good use. The possibilities are endless.

    You look like a badass on the road, in a sci-fi movie lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah hah! It does look like that! My hands were cold so I shoved them in my pockets.

      The light box will allow me to explore macro things in a controlled area of light too. I'm always looking to try new things. I already used it with my cell phone and the end result was really quite nice!

      Delete
    2. Here is an idea that came across my feed: roll black paper into a long cylinder & shine phone flashlight through it to create a "spot light" in a mini scene. I imagine creating different shapes would spread light accordingly. Ex. Cone flair at the end of cylinder = softer more spread out spot light. You may have already tried this or similar, but it made me think of you :)

      Delete
    3. I may have seen a video just like that and I've used the paper roll to do things like that. Some of my still life shots involve a lot of paper and tape!
      I'm fascinated by the fact that there are others out there who are great about sharing their set ups with relatively simple things like flashlights and paper cones & Kleenex as a diffuser!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.