Monday, October 10, 2022

Night Walkers

I have a 'bucket list' of sorts for things I would like to photograph. One of them is the moon rise from Blackhawk Rock. 

Another is a photo of the moon reflecting on the beaver pond at KVR. On Friday evening, Olive wanted to know if we could go for a moon walk. She hadn't really ever been on a moonlit hike before.

I decided to take the Old 131 Trail and we arrived at KVR just after sunset. While we walked the wide blacktop trail the western sky was still light and the moon [Gibbous Moon] was rising to the east. 

The Hoot Owls were very talkative and we stopped a few times to listen to them. A raccoon ran across the trail in front of us. Olive was startled and I laughed. Of course there would be night critters. It is the way of the forest.

By the time we reached the beaver pond area the moonlight had taken over. 

Both of us just stopped in our tracks and gazed. It was brilliant and beautiful.


Gibbous Moon 


Here is a photo of the moon reflecting on the beaver pond. 
In my mind, I think there should be a way of shooting the moon so you can see the moon surface and see it properly exposed in the water also. 
I haven't worked that out yet.

But now I can think about it because I know how beautiful it is. 


I tried this last month at a another pond in KVR and it was a bit of a failure due to the heavy fog and the angle of the moon. I got Jupiter's reflection but the moon was like the shot above...blown out and hazy due to the fog.

September Gibbous Moon/Jupiter on the ponds
near the Visitor Center


At the Beaver pond, I turned around and decided to get a shot of the Kickapoo backwaters.

I used LiveComposite mode to catch a bit of star trails and let the camera do its work for 4 minutes. I didn't have a lot of extra time to experiment like I normally do. Olive had a time she wanted to head back home.

This turned out pretty neat and since I was happy enough with it, 


we turned around and headed back.

We were back home by 9PM which fit her schedule just perfectly.

Sunday night I met another friend and her children who wanted to see the full moon on the river and by the ponds near the Visitor Center.

We watched the moon come over the top of the trees and then shine down on the pond.


We took  the grass trail around the other ponds and the bird observation point and then walked to bridge 18. It was a short walk. The kids -- being kids had left home arguing with mom about what to wear to stay warm.

The daughter got really cold and since she was all hunched up inside her fleece jacket looking miserable, I just snapped a shot of the full moon and we headed to the vehicles.


You cannot force a teenager to enjoy themselves if their heart isn't in it. The younger one was more interested in the on/off switch of the flashlight. Mom was frustrated because she wanted the kids to enjoy themselves.

I actually think they did as there were a lot of wows said and we had fun trying to identify the north star. The teen pointed to Jupiter and said it was the north star.

I hugged her and laughed. "I'm not getting lost in the woods at night with you!"

We all laughed. I picked up the youngest one and made to throw him in the pond when he was arguing with mom about a shower. "After getting slimed in the pond, you WILL want to get a shower!"

More laughter.

We wrapped it up and said goodbyes in the parking lot.

I'd told hubby that I'd be back home around 9 so I left.

BUT...

I want to go back tonight without distractions just before sundown and explore ...

Besides, the geese coming in last night were pretty cool. This shot from the parking lot.

[Not a very good shot, but I liked it!]



I know my son thinks I am annoying when I hiked with him and had my camera along. -- Roll of the eyes -- indeed I was on that trip.

Recently I've just put my camera away while hiking with friends. They don't really want to stop and see me take photos. 

And now I realize that unless I am with another photographer. Photography is a very solo sport

That is okay. I can live with that. Charlie is always patient with me anyway. If I take too long in the woods, he gets busy by digging a hole nearby. I don't know why, but that keeps him busy and he rarely complains!

Tonight? I'm going solo. Sometimes it is just better that way.



7 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:16 PM

    More gorgeous photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did get some great capture. I think solo would be good but take your phone with you. The moon was so bright last night I thought I had the porch light on. It was a full moon for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I had my phone. In the valley there isn't always reception, but I have a PBL which is a Personal Beacon Locator if I got into trouble.

      Delete
  3. You got some really nice moon shots! Interesting that the moon's "navel" is in a different spot from your location than it is at mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was fun and yes, just a few miles makes all the difference in the world while viewing the moon!

      Delete
  4. Yes solo or with another photographer...otherwise people get bored. Love that sky/geese photo! Those kids sounded bored...sometimes a hunt for visuals will perk things up especially if they are competitive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just lovely photos!!!! I'm sure you helped create memories with her children. Sounds like a wonderful time, just not conducive to photo

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.