Wednesday, October 05, 2022

Fred

Our visit with Kat and Colin was amazing and fun. Kat was fascinated by our mules and I decided to take her riding. She has previous riding experience while Colin really doesn't. He rode our Billy Bob mule when he was 12 around our yard.

Rich suggested I pull Fred out of retirement and saddle him up with my lightweight saddle and take them on a short ride.

Fred was ridden for the last time in 2016 by kids in the pasture. The past winter seemed hard on him and he'd lost condition and weight. All this summer I've been soaking alfalfa pellets and Senior Feed for him twice a day.
His coat is back to glistening and he has gained conditioning. He even gets bossy with the other girls out in the pasture and lopes up to the gate when he sees me coming at any time of day.

His teeth are probably just about worn out, but his attitude is the same little determined pony mule he has always been.

We know he cannot live forever soooooo....I commissioned Kat to do a portrait of Fred for Rich. Here is one she did of our Sundance mule as a gift.


Here are some shots the 'kids' took with their cell phones of our nice little ride.

That's me on Fred. Bad me. I totally forgot to put on my helmet when I was helping my guest riders get ready. 
Oh well.




Kat and her hubby on Sunshine and Siera:


Then Colin took a short video while riding. 


I'm so tickled that Fred seemed so eager to be on the trail and lead the pack as he as always done. He never even broke a sweat while the two Fat Bottom Girls did. 



Here is Fred in the pasture. He is 13 hands and 37 years old. 


One of the reasons this little mule is so special is because he is the reason I met my hubby.

He was riding Fred when he admired my horse. I recalled his mule's name but not his. The little mule impressed me so much 28 years ago, that I had to find out more about him.

And so it goes...



10 comments:

  1. Ohh I love so many things about this post, especially Fred! How fun for you to ride in a group with your mules. Kat is a super talented artist, wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 37! He looks fantastic and not just for his age. I have never worn a helmet. Maybe I shouldn't admit that. :) I'm happy you had a good time with your company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started wearing one when 4H required it for kids, since I was a leader, I wanted to set an example. :)

      Delete
  3. Anonymous1:37 PM

    Love the portrait of Fred! He looks terrific and it sounds like he loved going for a ride. Sweet video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow- 37! So glad you got him back to the point where he could get out for a ride. Love the back story on him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww that is a sweet story! Funny that you recalled the mules name first!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like it was a good day on the trail. I've only riden a horse a few times, and was terrible at it. My horse didn't want to stay on the trail like all the others. Never been on a mule. LOVE the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Horse back riding takes a lot of practice so don't feel bad. I have been learning since I was about 4 years old. 100's of hours of practice and balance work. It isn't easy!
      Glad you like the pictures!

      Delete
  7. He has lived a good life. I can see how it makes you happy to see him still being the leader of the pack. Either they all like to be ridden or at least get the attention from people working with them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:57 PM

    That looks like a fun time. I have not ridden a horse in so long ( never rode a mule or donkey) I'm a little bigger than I was as a teenager or even college. But riding through the autumn forest with horses was so much fun.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.