Monday, October 17, 2022

KVR Trail Challenge ~ Rockton Trails


I once in a while use mapmywalk app to get an idea of exactly where I hiked. It is a fairly useful app and it is fun to see it with a Satellite photo or Terrain photo of the area hiked.

I started at the parking area for the Canoe launch and landing site #12. I'd walked a good half of this route along Old 131 [which is actually Old County P--but I won't explain that].

As soon as we started, it began to sleet. I was surprised but since it was sleet and not heavy rain I wasn't bothered in the least. 

Sleet on Charlie's back:



Rocks on Old 131:

I just love seeing these little rock formations!






Charlie and I walked south along Old 131 to the first Ho Chunk bridge and then took a right to follow Indian Creek Trail. I knew from previous studies of the map, that if I simply took right hand turns at each intersection, I'd likely do just fine.

First Ho Chunk Bridge:



Second Ho Chunk Bridge:


The trail signs at KVR are pretty decent, but having a map in hand is really handy to have also. When I reached one spot in the trail I had 3 choices. Point #9 went up hill into the pines towards Black Hawk Rock, this was an equine trail. Another arrow pointed to Indian Creek Trail. The arrow to the right said Rockton Trail. That was the one I wanted.

Further on down the Rockton Trail, that trail split into two sections, both labeled Rockton trail. I knew I wanted to bear right, but I decided to check the map. One of the trails was a bicycle use only and the other was hiking/riding. 
Curious though. The Trail Challenge it does not specify exactly which trail is to be done except I decided that was a no brainer. I followed the tiny hikers that are nailed to the trees.

I was so surprised to find myself in a pine forest that had been planted many years ago. The trail wound through the pines. The ground was covered with beautiful pine needles and well...


My little pocket camera couldn't capture the sights, smells, and sounds that we experienced. But the colors were muted and amazing under the sleety/rainy/dull sky.

We entered a hardwood forest and simply had to just stop. Well, I stopped and sat on a log while Charlie explored the great smells. 

I put the camera on a delayed timer and walked away down the trail. I'm wearing a safety vest as there are pheasant hunters in the field areas. Bow season is open but those hunters are rarely near a trail.

During Gun Season, I just stay away from all forests even those on my own land.


The trail was just so beautiful along here.




The trail led us to Lisney Road for a very short jaunt before it went back into the woods. And we ended up in the field behind Rockton Bar. 



I counted 12 horses tied to the rails while their owners were probably in the Bar eating burgers. Hubby and I used to go their for lunch any time we were riding the Gov't Ground as it was called years ago.


Charlie set the pace on this hike. He loves the cooler weather and he actually has a pretty fast pace. He can cover a mile in 20 minutes which I consider fast for a dog with 3 inch front legs. 

Sections finished:
#34, #35, and #36.

5 sections left to go.
I want to get those done before Deer Gun Season!

Three of the sections are going to be a bit harder as I will have a 2 mile walk in one direction and then have to turn around and come back. I am curious as to why they include walking along the side of a county road as part of their hiking trail challenge.

Walking along a county road that can be busy at times is not really my idea of a peaceful hike. However, I'll get it done!

12 comments:

  1. Nice hike, with familiar sights that never get old. Fun for me to recognize some parts "I've been there!". Yah, I don't get long sections of road being part of the trail challenge either. The third rock outcropping has things to say (two voices are louder than one). Good thing they don't move. Much.

    Colors in our area are stunning this year!! The most color I've seen in a long time. A lot of jaw dropping this weekend. Even the yellows are vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the overcast days as the colors just seem to glow, especially the yellow.
      Yes, it has been about 25 or so years since I've been on this particular trail. We'd usually come to Rockton through Jug Creek and up along that way. It is no longer a trail because of the water crossing I imagine.

      Cold today, so Charlie and I will go explore near home. I'm going to hopefully do one of the road trails on Wednesday.

      Delete
  2. That was quite a hike. I am glad you have a map as I was lost after the first three turns. Wearing the vest is wise. Maybe you should wear a helment also. I don't know what color it should be as some hunters shoot at colors. Do be very careful out there you two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rarely are there hunters near the trails. They prefer areas near the open crop lands. I never hike this land during gun season for deer at all because I assume too many hunters are going to shoot at any noise they assume are deer.
      Thanks for visiting. I know that the purpose of hiking all the trails is to make sure you know your way around the reserve!

      Delete
  3. I doubt I could cover a mile in 20 hours! You have a perfect hiking companion in Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that. Charlie sure is a motivator in cool weather. I will hike as long as I can because it is so pleasing.

      Delete
  4. Wow, wow, WOW! Awesome hiking trails and pictures. Forest therapy at its best! I probably would take that walk and never come back for hours. I like the little rock formations. Everytime we used to come to Wisconsin, I would take pictures of them as they popped up along the highway. Unfortunately, they rarely made it to the blog. There was always too many other things to write about. Looks like the Fall color is in full swing now. But today is very windy in Kenosha. Wonder how long the leaves will hang on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The winds and rain usually take down the leaves! I know soon we will be in brown season and then snow season! Enjoy Kenosha, I always loved living there.

      Delete
  5. I love virtually hiking with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are nearing the end of your hiking trails challenge good for you and Charlie! The trails look so pretty and I love those covered bridges...we don't have any of those here. I recall the name Ho Chunk from driving to Chicago years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bridges replace old falling apart ones and mark boundaries of some of the Ho Chunk land. The Ho Chunks pushed out the Kickapoo Tribes if I have my history straight.
      Their tribe encompasses 3 states!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.