Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Deer Stories

There was Homer, Jethro, and Zelda.

Oh but there were so many more, but those were the three out of about a dozen Sunday morning that caught my eye and the focus of my camera.

While sitting in a tiny blind in the dark and waiting for the deer to may---beee show up and maybe NOT show up can be boring.

However I listened to the birdsong and peeked out as the day went slowly from dark to dim, to sunrise. I heard and saw both Robins and Bluebirds along with the constant cry from the pack of Crows that live nearby. 



A rabbit slowly came out of the brush and nibbled on some plants not far from me. 

Slowly some young deer came out of the woods and entered the meadow. It was a surprise as I'd just looked and they were not there and...then they were.


Pretty quickly there were about 6 deer in the meadow. Some obviously still not yearlings and some does. A couple of young ones played chase and then settled in to nibble in the meadow.

They all turned when a spike buck walked out of the woods. He ignored them and walked over to the neighbor's fence line and jumped it to graze I suppose on the fallen apples.


Soon the another spike buck appeared. I've been seeing them with regularity so I named one Homer and one Jethro.
Homer thinks he is a real stud.



When he started chasing the girls around he did this....


So some gals watched and others just ran off.

Zelda said, NO Way!



Eventually Homer decided to follow.


All in the pursuit of love, right?


Monday morning was a bit of a dud, but I did get to watch a squirrel do some interesting things. We all know they bury nuts right? They do, but this guy did something different.

I know squirrels bury their nuts, but I didn't know that they hid them too!



Here he is burying his nut



and then covering it up with oak leaves.



Isn't nature just amazing?

4 comments:

  1. That scene would have gotten me very excited in my youth. I would be in a tree bow hunting this time of year. I never got one. Lucky for them.... But I have lots of stories from all of those years of skunked hunting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty excited and loved seeing the interactions. I'm not very good with a bow and have never actually gun hunted a deer. I'm perfectly happy shooting with a camera.
      However I don't mind it at all when I get venison!

      Delete
  2. You captured some great wildlife! The deer look healthy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we seem to have an abundance of them.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.