Thursday, October 13, 2022

Falling

 


The leaves are falling everywhere!

Oh no! I feel like I am going to miss it. Wait miss what? I'm not exactly sure. But Fall makes me feel like I am missing out on something as the leaves drop and blow away leaving the trees stark...

...and
amazing in their winter garb.

But until then I will enjoy their colors and the leaves dropped onto the forest floor. With winds gusting up to [40 mph] according to the weather sites, leaves came down in a hurry around here. My gutters filled up with locust leaves and pine needles. 

I won't clean them until the rest of the leaves are down for the year. The yard is done. I mowed two weeks ago and it has frosted and been so dry that the yard won't grow much.

Below ~ Our first hard frost October 8th:






Since then the leaves went into hyper drive change mode. That is the one thing I wish they would not do.

Wouldn't it be nice to see the leaves change slowly and give us more time to enjoy them? 

So during Fall, I chase the leaves. Last year I chased the leaves at a few county parks, this year, most of my color/light chasing has been done right here around home.


I chase the leaves, I chase the light. I want to skip meals and just soak up the forest around me in these precious Fall days.



Charlie has no objections to it either. He likes wandering the forest and finding neat hidey holes for 'possum, raccoon, and other critters. 

Hubby knows this is my Fall routine and that I get on a roll and can't be stopped when Fall is here.

Maybe it is the shorter days that make me feel like I can't miss a thing. By midwinter I seem to adjust well. 

Even the leaves on the ground are amazing. Below are macros of Maple leaves.





Yesterday, we had rain. A long awaited rain. Just enough to settle the dust for a few minutes. 

Then a cold front swept through in the late afternoon and dropped temperatures drastically along with some 40 mile an hour gusts of wind.

Everyone got in on a bit of goofiness. 



10 comments:

  1. There's one smart mule that just eats while the rest scamper. :) We had rain and high wind yesterday, too. Like you, just enough to put the dust down. We have yet to have a hard frost which is odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was Fred who will be 38 in January. He did join in a bit later but that is when the one of the girls ran into him.
      Silly mules.
      We had 2 hard frosts! I'm in SW WI.

      Delete
  2. Yesterday I was parked, waiting on someone. Leaves were dropping so fast it looked like raindrops. Big, giant rain drops. I am teaching the grandkids to call out the red trees, my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colours came on fast here and went just as quickly in the wind. I too like them to last longer and change slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun video. Fall season does seem to constantly change. Before you know it, we enter "see through trees" season!! My zinnias are all brown-n-crunchy. I have a few potted annuals hanging on. My fuschias, mums are snapdragons are still nice and colorful. For now.

    The patterns on the leaf macro's are so interesting. Nice shots!

    We had a period of slurry/flurries in the big-little town today, it was pretty. Too warm to stick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love looking at the leaves. Do you think Santa would send me a microscope one day?
      We had sleet on and off and more of that for today. It won't stick, but it is sort of fun to see. It will be SO old by March though.

      Delete
  5. I have mixed reviews on fall. I do the things that I have to do but I hate to see the change also so quickly. You are getting a lot more cold weather than us because you really are in the north compared to us. I like your fall shots and I can see how Charlie loves the new things happening with the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love fall and sort of dislike fall. But time must move on and then I can look forward to Winter Adventures.

      Delete
  6. We had wind here yesterday and it is cold now and snowed...yippee...not! You had a really hard frost...we have not had that yet...probably tonight. Yes your Mules are frisky! Keep chasing the light and the leaves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. This morning is another hard frost so the leaves will likely all come down over the weekend! Oh well, seasons keep changing and at least I am able to enjoy them.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.