Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Lego Adult Build brings a Surprise

Something very different happened this weekend.
As some of you all know, I dig Legos. It all started when a neighbor boy gave me an old Lego minifigure.
When the neighbor this summer chucked all of her childhood Legos into the dumpster we shared...well, I did some dumpster diving and it took off from there.

Over the summer I decided to add a skid steer, a 4 wheeler, a motorcycle, and a truck for my Lego folks to get around on. 
I had so much fun with the toys this summer....

Remember Squatch? He and Hobby have searched all summer to find relatives. And Big Foot and Yeti have been too shy to step forward...
Well eventually that story will be told. I've got a lot of catching up to do...



So, I knew fall would bring cold weather and that I'd be spending time indoors. I decided to break down and order a Christmas Lego Build. I ordered Santa's Visit from Lego. It comes with nearly 1,500 pieces and is considered a Lego Adult Expert Build. 
What more fun could that be? 
I'd have a Christmas Lego Set to display!

Here is the view of the box:



When I unpacked the box and showed it to Rich, he was fascinated. Thankfully he didn't ask me how much it cost. [$99.00 😲]
He wanted to know what it was all about. When I pulled out 9 bags of Legos out of the box and set them on the table, he was even more curious.






In fact, so curious, that he started to separate the pieces as I called them out for the first build of the Christmas Tree and the fence for the yard of the house.

 He even started to play with it.


In fact...
He is so engaged in searching for pieces and seeing how it is done [he can spot where the pieces go rather quickly], that I don't do any building unless he is there too.


There are those who consider something like this a waste of money. After all, what are toys? Right?

Something very wonderful happened. For 3 days now, we have been engaged together between the times he has to rest... building a Lego Set.

He actually sort of engages in laughter and play. Like when I wanted a photo of him helping, he set his inhaler on the chimney and his nasal spray on the doorway. Huh. Funny Guy!



To engage in more play. I made him his own personal Lego Person.
Here is Rich and I:


Funny. Rich decided that the Dove should go in the tiny Lego Frying Pan and he'd stir it with an egg beater.


So what can I conclude?

Rich doesn't do puzzles as they don't interest him. But this is a puzzle in 3D. 


Lucky for us I have another build waiting in the wings.
I hope this engaging fun continues. 

We even had some more fun last night when I put some other Lego figures in the set and had one Lego gal chasing another Lego person with a frying pan.


It makes me wonder if Nursing Homes and Senior Centers would ever consider something like Duplo Builds for Seniors as engaging for those who just want to do something with their hands even though they have arthritic hands?

Just a thought.

11 comments:

  1. Aww, this is awesome! Great mini Rich & Val pair!! A creative thought provoking indoor activity, you can share together over a long cold-n-snowy Winter.

    Do you ever watch the Lego Build challenge show? That takes adult Lego building to a whole different level. Fun to watch.

    I saved my kids legos & rewashed them all this Summer for my grands. The sets are very pricy, but well worth the money. They hold up well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pricey. I got away with telling Rich what I paid for it because after the set is retired, the value of resale goes up.
      For me, it is the price of Adult Therapy. This morning he studied it and found a brick that was reversed!
      So, I consider it an investment in interaction and brain useage.

      I haven't watched that yet, my grand daughter said I needed to watch that too!

      Delete
  2. Our Lego people are just perfect! What a great activity! Some where someplace there must be people that exchange lego sets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a whole adult culture around Lego sets with competition and shows from what I understand.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous6:16 PM

    What a great activity for the two of you. So nice to see Rich participating. Now you know what to get him for Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a happy post!!!
    1. We just went on an outing and stopped at a Lego Store in a fancy shopping center area. This was an Adult Lego store and all the shoppers were adults buying this type of set. $99 was a good price, most were in the $250 range, but they went up to $900 or more!!!!
    2. What fun that your husband is involved. This just made me smile inside.
    3. You never know, maybe you could post a request on your local facebook group page asking if anyone is downsizing a lego collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The really intricate ones run for adults very high. I've seen builds on line for $700 or more! Yikes. No thanks.

      Delete
  5. I have always loved legos! As a kid, I cherished a construction kit my grandma gave me for Christmas. I took it apart and put it back together so many times... And in new combinations! IT is like a puzzle where you can make the picture if you did not like the ones the package wants you to make. I totally understand how the hubby was captured. Thumbs up it continues... Because there are LOTS of legos out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've loved them too. Our first legos were hard brittle red plastic and that was in the 1960's! We loved them.

      Delete
  6. This is great. I think you've hit on something. Might be nice to call a couple of Assisted Living Centers around you and talk to their activities person. I wonder if my Dad would have been more engaged with something like this. They play alot of bingo, but he wasn't much interested in that. I think if this helps with more engagement and fun, you spent $99 well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the folks who used to work at a Nursing Home said they were getting duplos for some of the residents to build with.
      3D puzzles are sometimes more engaging.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.