Tuesday, October 11, 2022

I got cold!

I totally misjudged the temperatures last night! 

When I left home it was 60 degrees. I was warm and toasty. When I arrived at the Reserve, it was 50. I'd only brought a light sweatshirt and a windbreaker. 

Note to self. Next time, add some jackets to a bag and leave it in the back of the Subaru. I thought I was getting good at figuring the weather out. Obviously, I forgot it was October.


I did get there just before sundown and enjoyed watching the sky and listening to Red Wing Blackbirds as they settled into the branches around me on their migration route. I didn't get any photos of them, but I could identify them by their song and the songs of Robins too.


Just as the sun dropped another flock of Canada Geese went overhead to the east. I think I was enjoying the sounds and songs of the birds more than anything else. 

To stay warm, I hiked around the pond trails and finally settled on a spot to watch the moon come up. I had 20 minutes to wait for moonrise and at least another 10 minutes before it would appear over the bluff to the east.

As the light faded, I watched some beavers -- or muskrats -- swimming in the east side pond. I think it would have been beavers because when they swam closer to where I was standing, they alarmed by slapping their tails against the water.

Oh, the sounds of nature when you can be right in it!

When I got to Bridge 18 I stopped to glance at the moon on the river. It was so beautiful. It seemed to glow orange.




I wanted to stay longer but my hands were freezing.

And as I put away my camera I heard a Hoot Owl calling out. I smiled, I love the sound of those owls.

Then I heard a blood curdling screech. I actually stopped a moment because it did actually sound like a scream.

It raised the hair on the back of my neck until I recognized the call of a Barn Owl. Yes, they do screech and it sounds pretty awful at first.


Another terrifying night sound is a fox screaming. But I haven't heard that in a long time. I did hear the coyotes calling out to each other when I reached the car.

It seems that all the creatures were enjoying the beautiful moonlight with me.


Enough about my night time wanderings.

Looks like the weather will change for the cooler and perhaps I'll be smarter about what I wear!

The Subaru said it was 39 degrees when I left for home. 

6 comments:

  1. You had a good outing! Your photos are excellent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:39 AM

    Your words and photos are beautiful.
    Kaye

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photos. I'm too chicken to do what you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going with someone is how most of my friends do it because nights can be scary. I used to hunt at night with hubby many years ago so I was able to make peace with the dark and the night critters.

      Plus the areas I go in are pretty darned safe.
      Thanks, I was so pleased to be able to watch the moon come up!

      Delete
  4. Night sounds evoke primal instincts in us, don't they?
    The first time I heard a Barn Owl I was quite surprised, it's so different from the hoot of the Great Horned Owl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bridge shot is a neat one. The moon glows so brightly that I think that the porch life was left on. You are having some great explores.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.