Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Now hear this...

 



Yesterday was a really really long long day. So Charlie and I headed out to the Rock Fort to sit a spell and listen to the woods. I was dressed in Blaze Orange but most of the weekend hunters had left the area to go back to where ever they came from. The bottom photo is of my crochet project. I am making a new rag rug and crocheting it. I don't have a loom but I do have balls and balls of material my Grandmother painstakingly put together from old shirts and sheets. Thus...a new rag rug!

~~~~

The morning hours were spent in a long 'intake' interview. 'Intake' is what the VA calls it. Rich and I were interviewed by a gal named Jennifer via secure video connection. It was not painful or difficult, she asked questions of Rich and then asked questions of me without Rich. He was happy to go watch TV in the other room. The program is called VA Family Caregiver Assistance. 

The VA feels it may be cheaper to pay a family caregiver to care for a veteran who needs assistance in all aspects of his daily life....or Activities of Daily Living.... than find a place in a nursing home for him/her. 

I just need to say this. I care for him because I do care. I quit a very well paying job so I could be with him and take care of him. Leaving him home alone every day for hours on end was not an option. There are about 5 more steps with an exam with a nurse, and exam with an Occupational Therapist, more social workers, and even a virtual home visit I think. It takes time and I am not terribly worried. 

One of the benefits that a caregiver can get is access to ChampVA insurance along with respite care and in home assistance. Mental Health access to deal with stress is also available. 

I told Jennifer that it would be amazing to be able to talk to someone from MH just to blow off steam. Okay, I know I have friends, but truly, who wants me to ring them up and complain about how frustrating it is when the person I care for is doing things that drive me crazy? I know he can't help it because of 'brain injury' but yet... somedays having an adult toddler is insane

Add a Pandemic to the mix and what have you got? Rhetorical question there. 

Anyway, it was really NICE to talk with another human, even it was a social worker doing an 'intake' interview.

The latest townie news is this. Our 25 bed hospital is nearly full, there is NO more room. The ER is full most of the time. They are treating some patients that need higher quality of care but have no place to transfer them to. That is unless beds open up with deaths or discharge to a lesser unit.

The Doctors made a plea via our local paper and radio stations to PLEASE please wear masks, wash hands, and socially distance...and please do not bring people outside of your household in for Thanksgiving. 
Many of our folk really are trying hard. Others think it is still a hoax or they just don't need to follow the guidelines.

And I know in my heart that if my husband suffers a Medical Emergency, it could be the very last time I see him. 

This really got to me yesterday and that is why Charlie and I went to The Rock Fort and sat while I crocheted. Fresh air, sunlight, birds, and a kind dog helps a lot.

So this morning I decided NOT to read the news. 

I went into distraction mode and created art with Mandebulb 3D, Incendia, and Corel PaintShopPro [a program cheaper but similar to Photoshop which I cannot afford!].

Viking Terminator!


Sleeping Dragon



Have a good day. Stay safe. I'm going out to enjoy the  new snowfall.


10 comments:

  1. I know how scary it is to think of just dropping someone off at the ER and never seeing them again. Stay safe out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could well happen to us, but I surely hope not. I didn't feel well today but I think that was stress and not anything to worry about. Putting in and order for curbside pickup on Monday. No more town for me. Our numbers just went ... well, you know how it is going.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes I just wish dogs could talk. They are such good listeners. Glad you have access to land where you can away for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie is a wonderful listener and cuddler. He loves to be touched and loves to be near humans. He will listen to me chatter all day long. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous8:18 PM

    I want to say something encouraging but don't know what to say other than hang in there and continue to ignore the news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to not sound discouraged too much. I am just tired and a bit cranky I think. On a nice note, my nephew asked me to do some artwork for a music album cover for him. I guess he likes my weird stuff. Who would have thought that? LOL!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous5:24 AM

      The Sleeping Dragon fractal would be a great album cover. :)

      Delete
    3. Ahhhh, my love for dragons!

      Delete
  4. Turning off the news is like breaking a bad drug habit for me. I know I have to do it, but I get sucked is over the most innocent of things. I remember when we first moved to Iowa 10 years ago... We had no internet or TV for two full years! Looking back, that was possibly the only reason we were sane... as we were traveling through dark waters at the time. Lovely art. I wish you the best with your Family predicament. You seem to be in an "impossible situation" where every choice is not a good one.. The only thing to do is talk about it to keep your own mental health. ( Or blog/write... that always helps me...) Hopefully the holidays will be a blessing... and you always have that bottomless furball of love next to you. ( dogs love you no matter what...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I hope I didn't sound too desperate or down. I do get that way once in a while.
      Turning off the news...well, just not looking at it will be the theme for the next few days.
      We are actually doing okay, and of course sometimes art or a hike will distract me enough for a while.
      Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.