Saturday, November 14, 2020

Bear Poop, Tide Detergent, Moth Balls

Well there it was... Friday the 13th!

We had 19 degrees in the morning and it felt a bit cold. I took a walk to the creek just after sunrise to see if there was any ice formations or tiny ice crystals on the rocks and grass.

I found one spot where the splashing water caught on a plant and formed a beautiful little ice formation!



The morning light in the creek was really quite beautiful and I took my time exploring. I'm glad I did. 

I found this:


Do Bears Poop in the woods?
Of course they do!
And they do it in the middle of a creek too!


I'm pretty sure this could be the same bear I saw while picking berries this summer. Generally the bears move on from our area to look for a mate. 

Black Bears are seen around here once in a while but generally it is a rare sighting, unless the population up north forces more bears south.

Anyway. The bear has stopped here more than once. There were a few piles on these rocks...well unless another bear decided to use this spot a toilet too? The under layer which is older is corn, the top layer is apples. There was another pile, but I didn't think you needed to see that.

Interesting! I thought it was a pretty cool find. 

I woke up early with a start in the middle of the night and for some odd reason I thought of Moth Balls. 
I'd used Moth Balls to deter the Ground Hogs from infesting my shed last year. They were making nests under a pile of old lumber. I had tossed Moth Balls under the lumber and dumped ammonia on top of the lumber and around their holes. They abandoned my shed within a few days. 
It smelled awful too, so I opened the doors and turned the exhaust fan on to keep it from being overwhelming.

So what about Moth Balls? 
It is a perfect critter deterrent. I use a few moth balls around the engine of the riding lawnmower's engine to keep the mice from chewing on the wires. 

How would Moth Balls work on deer? 

Rich said scented detergent would repel deer too. 

So being sly, and not wanting to deal with the guy who wants to shoot deer as they come up the trail out of my woods and towards where he parked his stand..........


I took some Tide Soap powder and spread it on the logs in the 'shoot' zone. Since we had a skiff of snow, it looks exactly like snow!
I added Moth Balls to the area, placing them here and there. I didn't need many and the smell was nasty. 

I had some old Tide detergent I'd purchased by mistake. Someone told me to use the powder in my machine. One, it doesn't work well, and two, I bought scented Tide. We don't use any scented soaps or softners at all. 
I can smell someone who uses scented laundry soap 20 to 30 feet away now. 

Being the Good Neighbor, I will call my 3 neighbors and let them know that the Bear is still hanging around.

I doubt he/she is a big concern. But I can't wait for some snow to hit the ground so I can do some tracking. I think I enjoy working out the stories that tracks of animals leave in the snow.

I would love to 'hunt' with my camera and get this fella in a nice shot I could frame.





















2 comments:

  1. Yes we have used moth balls to deter skunk activity...I cut up small netting wrap up a few moth balls and tie it with a twist tie and hang it on a branch. I had some in the window well but it still got Leopard frogs:)
    Good idea to stop the shooting in your zone:)
    Bear should be going to hibernate soon...the bear poop I see here is much darker:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, his poop this summer was very dark from eating black berries. This bear has been eating a lot of corn and has come back through the neighbor's lower pasture to eat wild apples that have fallen from the trees near the creek upstream. The bear must use the creek to cross properties as the fencing has washed out after many years of floods...it is the animal highway in the 'neck'of the woods.
      Pretty sure the bear is going to find a good place to hibernate on the property east of us, it is almost a square mile of nothing but forest and valleys.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.