Tuesday, November 03, 2020

Morning Jaunt

I went to Wildcat Mountain State Park earlier this summer in the middle of the week and found the place crowded with campers.

Fortunately not a lot of hearty souls were out on the the furthest part of the trails. I took side trails to keep from running into the mini hoards of people. This time was different.

There was one other vehicle there with a motorhome. They were bow hunters taking advantage of the open section of the park. The hiking trails are closed to trapping and hunting which is part of the reason I chose to take Charlie and enjoy a nice long walk in nature on nice trails.

My goal was to figure out how to hike to all the lookouts. I parked near the Ampitheatre area and took the shortcut to Taylor Hollow Lookout. From there I decided I'd just hike the Old Settler's Trail.



I brought along my little pocket camera that shoots infrared, this 'brown' season is great for black and white. Charlie and I are at the trailhead to Taylor Hollow Lookout.

Below, view of the stairs that lead down and around the rock. I am standing on top of the rock. Charlie is peering over the edge and surveying the landscape.



Next shot...See Charlie leading the way down the 'stairs'?
He loves trails, he loves hiking and like most dogs, he loves to be in the lead.


And there is always a rock to explore and pee on.


We hiked the first half of the trail down through the old pine plantation. We didn't run across anyone but saw a lot of tracks from weekend hikers. It was cold and breezy so I didn't expect to find many people out.


Charlie is wearing his long piece of rope which I can step on when I want him to stop or I use it as a leash when we see other people.


We did run across some Foresters working on some trees. There was a sign on the trail to 'forgive the mess' as the foresters cleaned out the diseased trees. 
There were six guys with chainsaws. We had to walk right past them so of course I had hold of Charlie and we stopped to say hello.
The Foreman asked if they could pet Charlie. Of course. 

I let him go so we could keep our distance and Charlie was surrounded by big burly guys in hard hats and chainsaws who all knelt on the ground to pet him. Oh Charlie was in heaven! His whole body vibrated with happiness and the tail circled and slapped overtime.

They thanked me and we were on our way again.
I had a notion as we went around a rocky formation that if I climbed up to the top I could shortcut or see out over the forest at least. 
The trail is built to do a serpentine through a valley and around a rocky ridge top.

We scrambled to the top and I was surprised to find that the parking lot to the other trailhead to Old Settler's Trail was right in front of us.
We could scramble back down to the trail we just left...or....

Explore.
My Trail Boss voted for Explore.


By some wicked chance, we found the Hiking/Cross Country Ski trail. I'd skied it in the winter, but it wasn't really on the hiking trail map. The confusion is this...the trail is for hiking and skiing but is only shown on the winter ski ridge map. 


I'm one of those people who like to walk/hike a trail and study the topo map to figure out exactly where I am and where I want to go.

IF I'd paid attention to the signs where I had parked, I would have had a clearer picture of how to 'find' the ski trail. 



Start. Hmmm. I'm not exactly sure what the red and white sign is on top of the post.
But I do recall that every year they have a cross country ski challenge on this section of Wildcat and this must be the start!

Well. Let's just say I figured out exactly where I will park next time and enjoy the 6 mile jaunt to the lookouts. 



Charlie and I ended our outing with a picnic in the back of the Subaru, out of the wind and in the warm sun. Dog cookies, PB&J, water, and an apple.



2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:16 AM

    Sun, trees, rocks and a dog always makes for a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Charlie had a good hike!! :) Enjoy the nice weather!!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.