Thursday, November 05, 2020

Life's Little Pleasures

 


There was a lot of work I could do.
But the day was going to be warm and unseasonably nice.

A distraction from the news would be a good thing. So I set up supper, made a red velvet cake [his favorite] for Rich and then walked out to the pasture with a lead rope. 
[And for anyone who knows me...I really dislike baking and this is the second cake in like forever. However, it wasn't so bad and maybe I'll make more this year?]

Sunshine walked up to me. My little red mule. I last rode her in June and July when I had a friend who was going to come over and ride with me. Then I got busy with the yard work and garden and it seemed my riding time always got put off.

Off we went. There won't be any photos of us on the trails in the woods or of us sliding down creek banks to cross the valley. Those moments demand attention to detail. And the trails are steep except for those on the ridge and the one that is mowed around the large corn field.


No, I don't trim the manes at this time of year. These guys live outside and in the woods with a few windbreaks for shelter. Rich feels if I roach the mane right now, their necks would get cold. He's the boss. Besides, it doesn't affect how they function so it doesn't matter to me.


We made the circuit to the back valley and down into that stream to watch for trout. I dismounted back there and let Sunshine eat while I just enjoyed the forest and the stream.

I'd seen two trail cams and had waved to both of them. There is a fellow that leases the land for hunting. I rarely ride or hike this part of the land when I think he will be out there. The guy is a real jerk though. 
I ran into him last year when he was putting up a stand in August. He asked what I was doing. I told him hiking.

He said, "I lease this land for hunting!"
And I replied, "What hunting season is it?"
Well it was not a hunting season, and I have permission to walk and ride all the acreage any time. I do politely avoid where this guy puts his stands. 

Anyway...

I noted where the stands were. November 21st is the opening day of gun season. I don't even wander about much on my own land. The first day sounds like a war is being conducted. 
I enjoyed my ride and when we got back home, I hand grazed Sunshine in the yard for a while.

Suddenly, the rest of the herd decided that they'd love to be caught too.

I wonder if Siera would like to go next! Another fine day is in store. I could take advantage.

For our evening entertainment, we looked outside just after we ate supper.


And yesterday morning....
once again proving that no matter what kind of camera a person has...


Hrrrmph.

And the day I had my pocket camera?


I think this is the one that comes down to graze near the outhouse in the evenings...

Have a good day. Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures.



4 comments:

  1. Hunters CAN be real jerks... So can land owners. Especially when you are on state land next to their land. ( "Don't shoot over here!") Understandable. I have been on both sides and can see both sides. But I was never a jerk. Rude people really make hunting and other outdoor activity just that much more irritating. Possibly one of the reasons I no longer hunt. Nice buck! By the way. I can see the "blurry antler" as he is running away. Funny how they rarely stand still for the shot. ( Understandable.) I can relate to being seduced into the outdoors when the weather is nice. It is a difficult thing for me to resist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I the very same person who leases just put a stand next to my fenceline in back. Two years in a row I have found arrows embedded either in my trees or stuck in the dirt 20 yards or so on my side of the fence.
      I would not mind if they asked. However the day this person bought this land, he walked on my side of the fence and put up signs as well as 'Do Not Cross' tape. The signs and tape were on my side of the fence so I removed them.
      His actions are rude, and his rules only apply to others.
      I DO hunt. I was a racoon hunter and hunted with my hounds. I also hunt coyotes who are the single most difficult animals to hunt. Anyway I do appreciate hunting, it has put money in our pockets and food on our table!
      Thanks for stopping by.
      I bet we could have a long conversation over this!

      Delete
  2. All our land is posted...hopefully no one will just think they can hunt here. My brothers both have deer stands in the woods...they will thin the herd:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this person believes that no one would be the wiser. I don't hunt or hike his land and expect the same from him.
      However I did find out that calling a landowner to retrieve a downed deer is supposed to happen, though I don't think anyone really does that.
      The fine for trespassing is about $1,300.
      My last thought is I don't want to get into a real pissing match, but really. My other neighbor I have no issues with at all.
      But he also resides on his land. I think that makes a huge difference?

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.