Sunday, November 08, 2020

Busy



Friday....

Charlie and I started out early enough to 'beat' the crowds at Wildcat Mountain State Park. I wanted to hike the cross country ski/hike trail on the ridge top and check out the lookouts.

I wasn't exactly clear on how the trail integrated with the equine trails, but I thought it would be great to get out on all of the lookouts. I was disappointed in most of the lookouts however. 

To be clear, they put up the barricades to keep folks from climbing out on the pinnacles of rock and falling to their deaths. However, they have let the scrub brush grow up which obscures any views. Oh darn.




Um, I didn't take any photos of the log barricades. Oh well. Charlie and I stopped for lunch and snacks at Billings Creek lookout.

It was getting warm and I could hear the noon whistle from Ontario. Charlie was tired and hot. He isn't built for hard fast hikes and after a bit he just sat in the trail and refused to move.

He also has a crooked leg and foot.

So a while back I had ordered a Kurgo backpack which is designed to carry a pet. I normally put a DSLR softie camera saver in the back when Charlie isn't along. It carries cameras well with plenty of room for lunch, hats, mittens, an extra jacket, hand warmers, and sleeves for water bottles. It is behind me in the above photo. It also has a rubber bottom so you can set it down in damp/wet or muddy areas. 




He did quite well in the backpack and rested up. He prefers me to wear the pack like a front baby carrier. On second thought, I think I'd prefer that sort of pack for him as he ages. But for now, this works. Little mini Dachshunds[he is also half Pekingese].... are not known for loving long hikes even though Charlie has always been a champ. 

He will trot along happily for about 4 miles before needing a lift or a rest.

We headed back to the car. I missed going to the Johnnycake Outlook, but that would have added two miles. Charlie wasn't up for that.

Friday night we stood on the porch and watched the deer come in to the mules' pasture.


Generally, my red mules will run the deer off. But last night it was quite the peaceful scene.

Saturday...
Charlie recovered nicely. We did a pre dawn walk through the freshly harvested corn field and watched the sun rise


Then it was on to the rock formation and picking up rocks, and pulling up Buckthorn trees.


Spending time out there was a way to enjoy the unusually wonderful weather.

I brought along some things to photograph and make Fall/Thanksgiving cards.

Charlie was almost a willing model.....I had a pocket full of treats...



And then another one for good measure...


I quite like this one for a Thanksgiving choice. Real leaves, fake leaves, and mini pumpkins at my new favorite place.

The Rocks.
Years ago when my boys were teens, they went here often and called it 'The Fort'.
Charlie loves it here. He can stand or sit on this rock out crop and watch over the the forest. Perfect for a little dog!



Sunday may just be a day off from pulling Buckthorn and brushing the pasture. It is and endless job and a good way for me to keep out of trouble. 
On nice days I cannot sit in our tiny cottage and listen to endless hours of TV crime shows.










4 comments:

  1. Cheryl talks about putting our cat in a backpack and talking him along on hikes. I don't think our cat would like that very much. The outdoors is certainly calling us today. Cheryl says she wants "some Earth Time" this afternoon before the winter finally hits us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son had a girlfriend whose cat went hiking in a backpack with them. I guess the cat liked it but my son not so much.
      :)

      Delete
  2. Charlie is a trooper, good thing you have the backpack! The weather has been awesome tonight it is still 65 here, I sat out a long time after dark:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it has been nice, we..will see winter weather soon enough.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.