Thursday, July 09, 2020

Doomscrolling

or if you prefer,

Doomsurfing.

You can't sleep, so you open a device and scroll through the news. You read the latest updates about Covid-19. You look at the cases, the deaths, the stories, and then you try to go back to sleep.

That's insane right? Absolutely!

Guess what?
I was doing exactly that until I read a story about the term.
I like the term *Doomsurfing* best.

The pandemic won't get better with me checking statistics and stories. It won't get better as I read stories about tragedies and posts saying it is a hoax. 

Social injustice will still be there in the morning when I have my first cup of coffee.

So I set a new rule for myself.

Dear Self:
You may NOT look at your phone or any other device after 9pm. Turn all notifications off. 
Turn your other devices off, all of the way off.
If you cannot sleep read a paperback, not a Kindle.

I've set times to when I can read the news or watch the news.

I have to find somewhere I can pick up some paperbacks now to read. 

Since I set up limits ... I've done better at a good night's sleep.

Have a good day 
and
don't Doomsurf.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:49 AM

    I like that word and I think it’s a good plan to avoid doomsurfing, but do find myself doing it sometimes too!

    I’ve found that the ‘Kindle Unlimited’ service fills my need for reading with unlimited reading choices, unfortunately it is a screen which may interfere with sleep. Have a great day too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading onmy Kindle, the screen after 8pm changes color and shouldn't interfere with sleep. I may have to resort to using it after finishing MIL's books. The issue is, I can also look up the news on the Kindle so I need to be careful.
      It is a great way to read tons of books !

      Delete
  2. I like your word it is perfect! My husband gets so depressed when he reads the news I have to get him off his computer to do something else. I am reading The Glassblower Trilogy on my Kindle righ now and it comes in handy when the power is out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up that word in an article from Wired Magazine. It said that it was harmful to your mental health to be obsessed with the news of the pandemic and all the other horrors of this day.
      Yes. I will resort to my Kindle and have to use self discipline not to go look at the news.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.