Monday, July 06, 2020

Too Hot

When it gets too hot to do much else...
we go berry pickin' for a while in the woods.


Charlie can't stand being cooped up all day in the house. He likes sitting on the porch, but loves his walks much more.

I haven't been taking him in the early mornings lately. I just have been scurrying to get stock tanks filled and the garden hoed before 8am instead of taking him for an early morning stroll.

So yesterday we were bored. Very bored and restless. So I took him for a walk along the 'ridge' trail. After all, I felt I owed him some extra attention.
Charlie has gotten used having us to himself all of the time.

Last week he really seemed relieved when I came home from being in the nursing home for hours. He was just beside himself when I returned.

Then with the 4th of July booms [fireworks], I again abandoned him to go on the ridge and photograph the fireworks.
Apparently he had a melt down and Rich had all he could do to console Charlie.


I walked slowly along the ridge road and picked berries while Charlie sniffed around and hunted the ever elusive Chipmunk. 
From the trail cameras, I know that we've had twin fawns, coyotes, a bobcat, and turkeys up and down this trail so ... Charlie had a LOT of sniffing to do.


And Charlie likes berries too!

There were two spots along the trail that were rather nice and cool. A whiff of a breeze flowed under the trees. But in other spots it was stifling. 

However! Lucky us! I found two small patches of wild yellow raspberries!


At some point in time, someone around here must have planted these as I don't think they are a wild type. But they are extremely tasty.

Charlie was in heaven, he chased noises, smelled good scents, and trotted along happily. 
Because he is half Pekinese I do have to watch him carefully in the extreme heat. However since he is a 'low' energy dog, he self regulates by slowing down and just ambling along.

I picked enough berries for a bowl full and we headed back home. Charlie walked in the door and immediately plopped down at Rich's feet.

Mission accomplished. Charlie was walked and happy, I found some berries and was happy.
It was HOT.

The big patch of black berries is just about ready at the neighbor's house. They have a huge patch that is easy to get to.
And...they share. I can usually pick enough there to make about two batches of Jelly. 
Enough so my neighbors get some and we get some.

This morning I can see it is nothing but a haze of humidity out there. Another blazing hot day is in store.

We have to drive two hours one way to get a lab done on Rich. 
Uffdah.

2 comments:

  1. Four hours for a lab test uffda is right...at least you have AC in the car. We were at bit cooler today...overcast and a bit of rain. Poor Charlie has been neglected lately...and your berries look good. We have wild raspberries but they are small and it takes forever to get enough for a bowl full:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we got the lab work done and we had a picnic in the car sort of. Hoping for a break in the weather soon. Charlie seems to be happy with whatever we do, love that little guy.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.