Sunday, December 01, 2019

The UnTree Decorating


I like old boxes. They make for interesting night stands and have so many uses.

In the past, I've used them in creating backrounds for Still Life photography.


I've used them in Christmas decorations....around the Christmas Chair....


and this year I decided to not use most of the items I've used before.
No Chair.
No Tree.
I wanted to do something completely different and more fun.

I have to admit, I have a tiny house with limited room so the challenge is to not take up too much space but add some cheery-ness to this cold and dreary time of the year.

I lost the space I had last year due to a change in an Oxygen Concentrator that is much bigger and very cumbersome.
So I had to come up with a better idea.

I had a small wall space to work with. Here is a shot of the area from last year when I used the old chair and a toy to do an experiment in Still Life.


I took the 'nesting' box 'table' that I'd purchased at my MIL's estate sale and mulled over so many ideas. So as usual, I just started putting things here and there. Then I'd look at it and another idea would emerge and I'd go at it again, swapping things around.

So first the Nesting Box Table Thingy. They didn't really know what to call it at the auction, but I just know that I'd loved this little Nesting Box forever.
Here it is in its 'Unglory'. It sits next to the porch door. There are my chore boots on the rug, mismatched gloves, and other stuff laying around.

The lights in the right side box are LED Christmas lights that have a cold blue color to hem. As a whole it doesn't work as well looking through the camera. But that isn't how I intended it.

It struck me as I was doing this decorating, that I was using each box as a mini diorama of sorts.


White bird on white lights. Nesting on a scrap of an old lace table cloth. The bird was picked up at an indoor yard sale a few years ago. It cheap as these usually come in pairs. A discard that suited me.


I put Epson Salts in this vase then added fairy lights and stuffed some ribbons from past Christmas's into it. There is that antler. I don't know, I just liked it there. The colorful mittens are a pair of mine that my Grandmother Pearl made. I use her mittens quite a bit while hiking. They just seemed right in this box.


Another vase experiment. Fairy Lights dropped in with a broken silver beaded garland. The snowman has been with me for years, a gift from my sister in law, I think. The Gnome? He is new. I like gnomes. You will see more lurking about my house.

A peek at the other part of the living room. I made a compact area for my untree decorations.


There is the concentrator and beyond that the tiny added on bedroom.

There is a story behind each little display which brings me fond memories.
The chicken on the end was given to me by the neighbor kids. There you go.

Just a portion of my UnTree Decorating.
I'll set up a tour of the boxes tomorrow.




2 comments:

  1. I like it! You are a good decorator!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to make it joyful yet not overpowering? I got caught up in a thought when I picked up an unwanted toy....

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.