Friday, December 27, 2019

Cut Off Trail



Sometimes wandering from the path is a good thing.

Yesterday on a whim, I texted to my neighbor that I'd be off to the Kickapoo Valley Reserve later on, just in case anyone would be interested.

Lauren and I often text each other on a whim for activities 'just in case' it works out for either her or me.
Yesterday it worked out for her and the kids...and the dogs too.

I guided them to the Cut Off Trail which I had hiked last February with Charlie. We'd only gone along below the bluffs that day as I wasn't sure just how long or where exactly the other end of the trail came out on County P.
After the hike last year, I drove over to where it came out and decided that I'd do that leg of the trail and walk the road back to where I'd park next time out.

I always carry a map and have a compass [yes a real live compass] attached to my back pack. In the back pack, I have snacks, water, hot chocolate, dog treats, emergency blanket [the space age kind], a lighter and a Fire starter log.

Hiking in KVR is pretty remote. So I always feel the need to be prepared. Hiking near home is the same way.

Well there I go, sidetracked!

We walked along the lower edges of the bluff and the kids kept exclaiming *Wow!* Each time we found ice formations or cool roots...or something interesting.


I can assure you, that the little frozen 'dry run' that had water seeping down through the rocks was so much more interesting than the trail was.

The day was pretty dark and gloomy, but there was a whole lot of laughter and exploration happening.

We eventually headed up the trail and along the ridge tops, following a trail that used to be equine only, but is now a multi use trail for hikers and equine. In the winter it is used by those brave folks with fat tire bikes and others with snowshoes.




By the time we got back to the vehicle, it was getting dark and the little dogs were tired. I'm pretty sure that Basil had run twice the distance that we had walked. Charlie was a bit more conservative in his distance running.

We got home after dark.

It was a perfect afternoon.


4 comments:

  1. No snow? Well brace yourself it might be coming! Looks like a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just had an alert for freezing rain! Then up to two inches of rainfall and later some snow. That sounds very ugly.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous12:14 PM

    What a wonderful way to spend a day - out and about playing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can't get out and about, I go stir crazy. Today could be one of those days...freezing rain.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.