Sunday, July 22, 2018

Travels with Charlie

Today was one of those days when I didn't have to run someone to an appointment, mow, fix something, or go anywhere. I decided to ask Rich if I could just take Charlie and head out to the Kickapoo Valley Reserve.

He said he didn't care, he'd sleep anyway.

Sunday would be a 'get hay' day and unload the truck too. That is if I can handle that job again.

So without a guilty conscience, I packed a lunch and Charlie's crate into the 'Ru. I laid a towel out on the front seat for on the way back.
I grabbed two bottles of water.
Charlie made an inspection before we left.


Charlie doesn't really 'like' riding in the car much. He still gets car sick. Unless I hold him so he feels comfortable and can look out the window, it seems he gets car sick.

Off we went. Charlie made some gruesome noises in his crate about half way there. I pulled over to check and he'd just been sick. He then laid on the other side of his crate and gave me a dirty look.

We parked and headed across the parking lot and didn't get perhaps 10 feet before a little girl asked her mom if she could see Charlie. Charlie whined and wagged and even peed a bit he was so happy.
I was stopped 3 more times before we got out of the parking lot and onto the trail.
By now Charlie just was wagging and greeting everyone who asked to pet him.

Charlie was over his car sickness and ready to hike.


It was hot in the valley. We both quickly felt a bit overwhelmed by the heat. On the ridge there had been a nice breeze.

So I took Charlie where I knew we could cool off. Bridge 18 in KVR is covered and makes for a nice spot to rest.


Our picnic spot. Charlie had some water and some treats. I ate a sandwich.

The Kickapoo flowed under us, the breezes flowed through the bridge. And we were happy campers.


We finally cooled off and then headed back towards the ponds where we decided to turn around. It was getting hot again and I am not sure how a Pekinese X mini doxxie would handle the heat. Charlie was panting. I knelt in a spot of shade and gave him water for about the 3rd time on our hike.
He lapped it up and then tried to drink out of my water bottle.

His attention was taken by two young ladies walking towards us. I waited in the shade for them to pass.
Charlie stole the show again.

Charlie is loved I guess. I just sat back and beamed. It is nice to have such a well behaved young dog. His temperament and size make him very approachable.

It happened that the girls were also going back the way we were going so I asked if they minded if Charlie and I walked with them.

An adorable dog is an ice breaker indeed. We chatted and walked back to the  parking lot. I gave the girls some other places to visit and hike while they were visiting our area. They thanked me and Charlie and I left for our next stop.
The trail above the little known ice caves.


I think that only local folks know about this parking spot. Most any vehicle can get in and out. Of course, I was driving the 'Ru so... no problem.

We set off for the deep woods.

Charlie was a trooper, he was tired and walked slowly, so I gave him a lift.

We looked down on the ice caves which of course don't have ice in them this time of year. If you didn't know they were below you ... you'd never see them.

[Ice cave from last February...there is a hollow behind the ice.]


We got to the bluff and I had to really keep an eye on Charlie. He isn't as nimble as Morris was and I was afraid he'd try and go over the side of the rock to explore.

He did get stuck in that crack in front of him.

The view is never disappointing from this bluff.


We then stopped for another water break and I set up the Teddy Bear for some photos.

And this happened...




Charlie is always willing to help make trying to photograph this particular Bear very difficult.
I had to catch the bear so he wouldn't roll off the steep bluff.

Of course I figured this would happen. The middle photo was actually what I was looking for!

We headed back to the car. Charlie was tired and I carried him most of the way. Those short little legs aren't made for hard hiking in the heat.
I set him in the passenger seat and took this photo after we got to LaFarge.


He looks miserable doesn't he?


By the next stop sign, he was sacked out enjoying the a/c on the Subraru.

It took him only a few minutes to get back to himself when we got home.
I'm going to have to ask the vet if there is something I can give him for these jaunts we go on. He is a pleasure to have along.

And I'm going to invest in a booster seat. I think that will help a lot.

Charlie was fawned over by everyone he met. I'll bet I could have been dressed in a clown suit and no one would have noticed.

We had a great afternoon.
I'm looking forward to more short jaunts with Charlie.


3 comments:

  1. Wow!simply beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I had almost as much fun as you and Charlie just by reading about your adventure!

    Challenge accepted: wear that clown suit next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good outing, good socialization for Charlie! His car sickness should get better the more times you take him, I bet stuff from the Vet would make him sleepy. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.