Sunday, August 30, 2009

Coming Home...


When I pull in the driveway at 1AM, the garage light guides me to where our house is. I shut the car door and turn off the outside lights. I can see the bright stars if the sky is not cloudy. It is quiet except for the chirping of crickets and perhaps a nicker from a horse or bray of a mule [who like to announce the fact that I have arrived]

I go to the back door and open it quietly.
And there he is
Morris.

He is my happy little Jack Russell who shows his exuberance by rushing into the living room and grabbing a toy to bring back and show me as I take off my coat.
He nudges me on the leg as I pet him and tell him how my evening went.

He is mostly a good listener, sometimes though he is distracted by more important issues, such as ~~ going outside for the last 'duty' call.

If I don't change fast enough, he is there to egg me on. He wants to go to sleep in the 'big' bed. Meaning, he wants me to crawl under the covers so he can hop in and snuggle.
[which of course is very nice on a cold winter night]

Right now my shifts have been 4-midnights which I assume will change when another guard takes vacation and I sub for them.

But I must say, it is awful endearing to have a nice little fella to meet you at the door a sloppy grin on his face and his tail doing 90 MPH.
Sorta makes you feel like coming home.

1 comment:

  1. There's is nothing like a dog's warm welcome home. They are always glad to see you no matter what kind of day you've had or what kind of mood your in...very generous with their feelings these dogs of ours.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.