Monday, July 10, 2023

Ponies and little girls

 Last week one of the ladies who is a coach and a friend from our CrossFit gym invited me out to visit with her and have lunch. She said the girls were excited for me to come out and see their pony.

The pony is supposedly only 20ish. The people that gave them the pony years ago gave him an estimated age back then. In my opinion, the pony is more closer to 30 than 20. However, he is a much loved animal by all the girls.








The oldest girl has dreams of becoming a barrel racer with a beautiful flaxen maned horse that would fly like the wind and carry her to victories. We all need our dreams.

We didn't have horses when I was a kid, but my Uncle and cousins did. Sometimes my sister and I spent overnights with my cousins and of course we played and rode the horses. 

We rode quite a bit at my Uncle's place. He raised and trained horses. During WWII he was in charge of mules and horses that transported equipment. His love and patience with all equine was amazing.

I'm on the left on Thunder, the cantankerous pony that was probably very misunderstood and very loved at the same time. My sister is on Charlie Brown, one of my Uncle's last horses that he raised before he died.



I think Thunder was a Shetland. We called him a "Sh-tland" pony because he always had tricks to play on his unsuspecting riders. The only rule we had was to stay on top. 

Of course this made me dream of having an incredibly beautiful horse with a long flowing mane and tail. Oh snap!

I ended up with mules, but what can I say? Riding them still makes me feel free and dreamy.



It really eases my mind and soul.


I want to be like these little girls and their pony...playing and dreaming without a worry in their heads.



8 comments:

  1. What lovely pictures! Go for your dreams, little ones! (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way little ones dream. I never lost sight of my dreams. I may have ended up with funny looking long eared mules, but they sure keep me sane.

      Delete
  2. All little girls need dreams:) I always wanted a Morgan Gelding...instead I got an Appie Mare who was mean...I hated that horse she bit me black and blue.
    Glad you have your mules:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch! I had an Appy cross mule and somedays she was very cross minded. However, I think it was the way she was raised. When we got her she was 14 and hated most people. In the end, she and I got along wonderfully. But it took an extreme daily effort on my part to convince her I was trustworthy.

      My mare bit me once. It hurt!

      Delete
  3. Awww, every good pony deserves little kids to love on them!! Brought back fond memories for you. Complete with photos. A fun day for all. You have such great local friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kids and horses, or ponies. I had a horse as a kid, he was wonderful. And I love mules and wish I'd had one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All kids should get to spend time with horses. They are great humblers and great teachers- especially those rotten Shetlands!
    My dream came true- a black stallion. Thank you Walter Farley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you 100%.
      Oh yes! I wanted to ride the black stallion also! I dreamt of it often even though I was riding a Shetland, I was .... well, I was riding a dream!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.