Monday, July 03, 2023

New Word: Selenophile

Selenophile: One who loves the moon. People who love the moon and find joy and peace of mind when looking at it.


Last night I decided to go and check out the moonrise. 

Just before I walked out the door, we got a phone call. The caller ID said it was hubby's daughter so I handed him the phone. It was our Grandson Dennis.
Dennis had mentioned in April that he'd like to drive to our place and spend a couple of days with us around July 4th. 

I hadn't thought much more about it since he hadn't confirmed his plans. But there he was on the phone asking to come. 

---- Anyway ----


Back to the moon ---

I decided to drive out to the area where I wanted to see the moonrise. 

It isn't very far, I could have walked, but I wanted to get there and then just get back home.

While still in the car I saw this --->





I saw a herd of about 15 does with fawns in another section of the soybean field that ran once I got out of the car. 

I walked out through the stunted crops to where I knew the moon would rise. I was a bit disappointed to see a cloud bank to the east and no moon. 

I decided to just stand there and wait. After all, it was pleasant out and peaceful. I was the only human in the area for at least a mile radius. I can be very patient sometimes.

I nearly gave up, and then I saw just a hint of color in the sky.


Patience! Wait...wait!

Gasp! It changed color to a brilliant pink! As the skies darkened ...


the moon kept changing its colors...


I walked back to the car and turned around.

Just before I left the ridge, I glanced over my shoulder and...


was stunned once more.

Tonight the moon should be a super moon called the Buck Moon.

If Dennis is up to it, I'll be taking him to a bluff to watch the moon come up directly in front of us. Crossed fingers!




11 comments:

  1. Beautiful :-))) And we see - Patience can really pay off.
    Have fun with Dennis, I keep my fingers crossed for wonderful nature experiences.
    A hug for you. Viola

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be nice to have company, even if the notice is short. The moon photos are impressive. I love deer faces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:39 AM

    Those moon photos!!!! I'm trying very hard to channel you and Sandra some rain...hope it gets there. Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a fascinating moon. When I was out, teenage girls were walking by, chatting and messing with their phones. The never even saw me out there with my camera. I will go out again tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. New word for me too. Glad your patience payed off. Definitely worth the wait. I like that first deer photo! Different look with what I assume is blurred tall grass. Enjoy your time together, making more memories with the grandson!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I stopped the car and shot through the ditch grass at her!
      It was a neat outting.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful! I hope your husband can go with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby isn't able to leave the house on his own, he said he'd stay home and snooze.
      My Grandson went and we enjoyed it!

      Delete
  7. LD loves the moon! I have so many trees I have to make a conscious effort to go out! You got some great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to go up and out to the ridge to get out of the trees. It takes 2 hrs for the full moon to show up down here! :)

      Delete
  8. Great moon shots! Here we had cloud. Bah!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.