Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Hot! Oh Hot oh and other farm stuff.

July 2023 has been one of the most unusual months in recent memory. Rarely did we have a beautiful sky in the mornings. The sunrises were orange or brown and once even a frightful red [without the rains!].




It makes me wonder how the wildfires and smoke are effecting
wonderful creatures like the Monarch Caterpillar..


 or my neighbor's crops... 
the drought, smoke, and hot days, cold nights??


What sort of strange times do we live in? 
Rhetorical Question.



Moving on.


Yesterday I spent some time with the fellow who came out to tune up our skid steer. It was having an issue. 

Caveat, I do dislike machinery. I don't like operating machinery -- farm machinery. Period. He replaced three thingies that make the lights, blower, and starter run properly. Fuses. That's what they were. He admired our nice skid steer. I did mention that I would be happy with one of the first ones we ever had. It was simple with no electronic fusies to fuss with. He offered to trade me for his older little one.

I learned a few things from him and he showed me how to check hydraulic fluid and other stuffs. He explained it nicely so that my eyes and brain didn't explode, shut down, nor did my eyes glaze over.

The gent that we have purchased large square bales called me back this morning. I said "Hey Darryl, bet you can't figure out what I called for!"

"Oh," he said, "I'm sure it was to talk about the weather or perhaps good books to read?"

He always jokes with me.

He'd been waiting for me to contact him. I gave him an estimate of the amount of hay I'd need to carry me through next year. 

I pared it down from last year. We've lost Fred and Mica won't make it through this winter. She is the grey mule we have. 

Her COPD/heart situation has been depleting her strength and condition. It would be cruel to let her hang on into the cold. 

Today she wouldn't even trot up to the next pasture rotation. She literally walked slow while struggling to take breaths. It would be cruel to keep letting her suffer like this. 

Anyway, Darryl said he'd make sure we get what we needed. I have it delivered all at once and stack it in the machine shed. I pay him on the spot.

He said he was turning down a lot of requests and was taking care of his regular customers first.

I get it. We are grateful that we've been faithful customers of his for the last 10 years.

Rain. It would be good to get some.

We mowed some of the yard yesterday. This morning I cleaned all the stock tanks and put out fresh cool water for everyone.

I even got out of making supper tonight! Ms. Olive invited us up to her place for homemade pizza.




Stay cool if you can.


7 comments:

  1. My skid steer is from 1975, very simple. We finally had rain last night. It's been so dry I don't know how much it helps but I'm grateful for it. A pleasant surprise to be invited to dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I wish ours was the simple one. It's darn electronics stink. I mean who needs a radio on a skid steer? Not that we ever listened to it....

      Delete
  2. The skies are just lovely. It is in the 100's in Northern Ohio today. I am over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just know that it is hot hot hot this afternoon. I was out watering and decided to stay inside and not read on the porch like I usually do.

      Delete
  3. No rain here. We need it. Our friends that raise cattle are now on hay as their pastures are done for the summer or until it rains and has a chance to grow. Stay cool! Love the photo of the Queen Annes Lace~ I should go out and see what our sunrise is like but then I have to get in the Ranger and ride out of the woods:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have to walk up to the ridge to view the sunrise. Otherwise, it is a 2 hr wait to see the sun come over the trees!👍

      Delete
  4. Cool photos! I enjoy the radio in our's everyday :) Truly appreciate the "fancy" features. Nothing like climbing in to do chores & cooling off on a super hot day.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.