Friday, July 28, 2023

Arrrrrgh!

While driving home through Mad City [Madison], we went through construction sites at rush hour. 

I was in the left lane and the car in the right lane splashed us with what I thought was mud. The wipers barely got the mud off with repeated spraying. I just figured I'd run it through the car wash the next day.

Nope. This was liquid concrete and guess what? It doesn't come off! I read up on the different ways to try and get it off. Nothing works and it scratches the finish of the vehicle. 
Nasty Stuff!

So yesterday I stopped at the local body shop and talked to the husband/wife team that ran the place. He said I could scrap it off but ruin the finish on the hood, the door, the front, and the roof of our car. The front bumper and head light would be terribly damaged and messed up. 
His suggestion was to report it to my car insurance.

Now. The car is 5 years old. I love this car. I could take the money and run, have it scraped and deal with the rust and scratches. However.
For now? I will see what the insurance has to say.
Two years ago, I had a groundhog eat my transmission line and my insurance covered that.

At least I can say that I have some really odd claims?
Groundhogs and splashing concrete!



The bent plastic by the fog light was from a parking lot incident. I have no idea how that occurred when I was at the clinic last year... but if that part needs to be replaced, I'll have a two - fer.


Frank, the gent I hired for plowing last winter also farms and has a gravel pit as well as a business that does driveways and whatnot.

He and his worker arrived yesterday morning to see what we wanted done. This shot is of his bulldozer parked in the lower driveway. This section of driveway has no base left and becomes a mud sucking pit each spring. 

I have to park on the ridge or park on the hill and walk with groceries to the house. It would be nice not to have to deal with that next spring. He will dig out the culverts on the hill driveway and level out a place next to the back door for me to park and for vehicles to turn around.



What the driveway looks like during the thaw. View from the house:




These improvements have been needed for a long time. Hubby kept putting it off thinking he'd do it himself. The last time we had any real work done, it was in 2007 and that was on the hill. Nothing has been done to the lower drive since we bought the place.

2007 work:



This is sort of exciting. 

It pays to stay local and seek out someone who you know to do the work. Frank lives close enough to be called a neighbor. We've been neighbors since he was a young man. 

The work that was done in 2007 was from another local friend that has since retired from his work for the county. That was a huge undertaking and has really kept the hill driveway from washing out over the years.


As a bonus, Frank noted that two pines near the house were dying. He commented that he'd just push them down with the bulldozer. I said that was fine too. However I couldn't cut it up. I'd hack off my legs with a chainsaw.

He looked at his co-worker and said that they'd do that and haul it away. They could use the wood for the outdoor wood heater he'd purchased for his shop.


Well now. That seems like a good deal to me!


15 comments:

  1. Love your tree story! What great neighbors and friends. My daughter had two large trees split and 1/2 of the trees fall in a bad storm. Just missed her children's bedroom. Insurance paid nothing since they did not hit the house. And they told her that if the rest of the trees fell, they would pay nothing because she now knows the state they are in and it would be neglect. The first quote was over $3000 and the second came in at $2000. He did grind the stumps and take the wood.
    I have a car story too. I was with a group of friends and a road working crew splashed her car with some kind of liquid on the highway. It was several lanes of traffic and all we could do was keep going until an exit. We raced to a garage (in another state) and they gave us advice on what to quickly rinse it with (they didn't have any and sent us to a second garage) and then we went to a car wash after that. And the insurance did not pay for any of this either. I am SO SORRY this happened to you!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it covers the work. If I don't replace the bumper, the concrete will stay there forever. I'd have to hire the body shop to clean the rest of the car and buff it.
      I'll let you know how it works out.

      Delete
  2. I have to say your driveway reminds me of a home project we did. People driving by thought we were demolishing the house. It sure does look nice when these projects are finished though. You will love the new driveway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The job in 2007 was really quite awesome.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous8:07 PM

    Wow! They did a real number on your car! Hopefully you insurance will take care of that. And your driveway! That is a very long one and I see what you mean about the mud possibilities. Hope all goers well. Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am hoping also. Of course my Agent said he'd never heard of concrete damage!

      Delete
  4. I at first thought you were going to say tar was splashed on your car. I think there must be something that will dissolve it. I would think a car place might have a suggestion of a cleaning compound that can take off the tar might take off the cement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to a body shop to ask if they could clean it and all the ways they have to clean it will scratch and take off the clear coat finish. The removal on the bumper and head light will also damage the bumper and headlight.
      We researched it also.
      It will take scraping carefully and buffing out the scratches by a professional.

      :(
      I suppose if I had realized it was concrete mix and had washed it off within an hour, it may have come off.

      Delete
  5. Sorry that happened to you/your beloved Subaru. My understanding is there is commercial product that removes the concrete.

    Wow, that is one long hilly driveway! No wonder you are cautious in inclemate weather. It will be good to get it worked on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And mine is not as bad as one of my other friends! I thought I had it bad. But I guess there is always someone worse off.

      Delete
  6. I wonder why there was liquid concrete on the road? That's a mess. I'm glad you won't need to walk to the house carrying groceries once it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was probably in a puddle ... I'd had to have seen what the other vehicle ended up looking like.

      Delete
  7. That driveway work will certainly make life easier for you! Great to have neighbors who can do stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope your insurance company comes through for you! I didn't know about liquid concrete...and it has been so hot it most likely baked on within minutes. Yeah for getting the road worked on! Our road is a mess too in the Spring before the frost goes out. Country living!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious as to what the ins. adjuster will say vs the body shop. The concrete was baked on right away in the hot weather. My son said I should just trade it in! LOL. Not!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.