Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Visit with the surgeon...

Dr. L walks in the room.
Doc: So is this the free surgery or is it the next one?
We all laugh [remember the card? buy 3 get one free?]

Rich: Hey doc, how are yah?
Doc: Fine how are you?
[me--guys, uh, I'm the patient!]

Doc: So let's see what we have today, the 6 week follow up. He pokes and prods and asks questions.
Then says: Been riding?

Me: Yup.
Doc: I haven't said you could.
Me: You said I couldn't ride
'donkeys', I rode my mule.
Doc gives me the look.

Me: So you going to let me ride?
Doc: Wear your cast ...
Me: I burnt it.
Doc: [big sigh]
Me: I promise to be good and careful.
Doc: [bigger sigh] So in general how does it feel?

I tell him good unless I push it.
Then I ask him what he actually did in there.

He says he took out the tendon and cut off the piece that looked like shattered glass, and [some other things], then reattached it.
[OH boy,
THAT is why I need to be careful! It was re-attached!!!]

Rich: Doc, did you do a lobotomy on her?
Doc:
WHAT?
Rich: Did you do a lobotomy on her? She's been canning, making jellies, applesauce, applecrisp, she made a cake, cooking, sewing....
Doc: She's being domestic???? [he looks at me as if mystified]... If I'd done a lobotomy on her, she'd be doing THAT at MY house!!!

Me: Ok, so I WAS going to bring you some apple jelly, but...
Doc: Oh YES please, I'll be looking forward to some in 6 weeks! In 6 weeks we should be able to release you to doing anything you want.

Me: [sigh]
Doc: Oh Val, you can go sky diving if you want. [he winks]
Doc pauses as he gets ready to leave...: Val, how ever did I know that you would go riding anyway?

So I am much stronger than he anticipated and doing awesome in his words. But since I cannot touch my right thumb to my right shoulder and have significant diminished elbow range of motion, I am returning to OT.

I had NO idea that he actually cut most of the tendon out and did reattaching to bone.
EWWW. Gross.

But I'm feeling better than ever.

;-)
Sky diving indeed!
Anyone know how much it costs???

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:46 AM

    NO skydiving. Tried it twice and it's not a natural thing for people to do. Ick is right. reattaching anything sounds serious. Maybe just take it a little easy so you will heal up for sure. YOU take care.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.