Monday, August 01, 2022

Waking up early

 

I haven't always been an early riser, but now I am. It is frustrating to have your eyeballs blast open while it is still dark outside and your body tells you "Get UP"!

I even try for a few moments to lull myself back to sleep. But it doesn't come.

So I decided to make good use of my early wake up time. I made some decafe coffee [yeah, decafe...but I am used to it now] and decided to go watch the sunrise over the ponds at Kickapoo Valley Reserve. 

The skies were brilliantly clear and beautiful with stars twinkling merrily.

Yeah.

Until I got into the river valley, that is.

Then.

Fog.

Dense fog.

But that was fine too. Not what I planned but not unexpected for this area especially near the Kickapoo River. 

I parked by the dam site and got out to look up. I guess I wasn't going to see a brilliant sunrise with the colors and clouds reflecting off the ponds as planned. It was murky and dark. I thought about getting back in the 'Ru and driving to another spot where I could climb a bluff. But tossed that aside.

After all, the dense fog was a challenge. What could I do with it?

The first thing I wanted to try was to catch the 'essence' of the predawn morning with a photo of Bridge 18. I had to use my headlamp to light up the bridge. But with a timed exposure, it didn't look very dark!

This is one of the things with fog, it throws the camera sensors into a frenzy of confusion. After an 8 second exposure it looked as if I'd just taken it on a cloudy day.


I tried a shot of the river but it looked weirdly bluish and strange. This was a 77 second shot.


I was tickled with the outcome though, because it was so strange looking and at least you could see how thick the fog was.

I walked down to the ponds and the fog got even more intense. 

In one photography class I'd taken, I was criticized for not planning far enough ahead. I was told that I should never depend on serendipity for a good photo. But here I was just having a fun time playing in the fog when I hadn't meant to.

I couldn't help myself but to be enchanted by the terrible conditions. So I thought Minimalism! How could I do that?

Easy, Nature was showing me how to do it. 
I didn't achieve true Minimalism though until I shot the middle of the pond like this:


Full version of the same scene:




I spent some time waiting to see if the sun would penetrate the fog. 


It felt weird to be this close to the Visitor Center and not see another soul. However it was still before 6AM, so I guess I was the weird one.



So I walked around the other little ponds to see if I could come up with something interesting. The western pond that has the blind in it was totally obscured by river fog. 

Eventually the fog started to brighten up and I decided to head home.

Parting shot of Bridge 18:

I didn't get out of fog until I got home. I had to leave the river valley. 

So I think .... hmmm, next time get up on the bluff and look down on the fog and gaze at the sky!

I was home before hubby woke up and all was good.

Whew. 
Guess I'll go to bed early again tonight!











9 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:46 PM

    I know what you mean about waiting up early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:47 PM

    Val....I wrote that last comment and forgot to put my name on it. At least I am able to leave them now. Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially love the shot of the river!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a very good morning person:) Love that last shot of the bridge!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like early morning times. You had quite and adventure in the fog. Trial and error is the only way to get the best shot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:24 AM

    I am not a morning person either, and curiously just posted about it. There must be something in the air making night owls wake up to watch the dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A covered bridge! Do you live in Madison County? The photos of the fog and water are good. I'd frame a couple of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a bridge rebuilt on an old road called old 131 which is now a trail for hiker, bicyclists, and horses. It is in the Kickapoo Valley Reserve which I live about 20 minutes from.
      There are 3 covered bridges on the Reserve. This is the easiest one to get to.
      I had a fun time, thanks for the nice compliment.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.