Tuesday, August 16, 2022

The Laugh is on Me~

Over the last year, the Kickapoo Valley Reserve has changed management and has had other changes. Most of them I don't pay attention to as they were changes for campsites and the completion of a new trail that I'd done this summer.

I was using an old map to draw colored lines on the trails I finished. Last year in September, I hiked the south end of the Billings Creek Trail until I ran into a huge deadfall where the trail disappeared. I knew I was close to the Billings Creek crossing but turned around.

My plan was to approach the trail from the north and find the stream crossing from the large grassy area I'd seen on the Google Earth Maps.

Simple, right? Then I could see where the other end of the trail close to where I stopped and re hike the south end to nail the segments needed for the Trail Challenge.

Below is a map of my walk from the Mapmyhike app.


However. The trail through the field was unmarked. So I had to wander up and down the Hay Valley Segment that ends at Cass Valley Road to find some sort of indication of a trail.

There was bent grass that looked like a tractor had driven through the area and it looked like a trail that should have been mowed but wasn't. I was sort of pissed that the only indication of the trail was a tiny sign that barely stuck up through the weeds that said, "No Motorized Vehicles". Normally there is a small sign like this:



Charlie was a trooper, he really tried. Except when he got stuck in the tall grasses and started to cough.


Three inch legs are not that great for huffing through tall grasses. My legs had a tough time too, especially with Charlie in my arms.

But the flowers were beautiful. Except when they weren't because it got hot as we went into the valley. Hot and no air movement. Lots of bees and butterflies. 
I was cursing more than I was enjoying. If I wanted to bushwhack, I'd have hiked my neighbor's abandoned land.



I could see where Billings Creek was supposed to be and we finally followed a deer trail to the bank.


After mucking around a bit and stopping for a water break.  I cussed out loud and made a mental note to ask the Reserve Management -- Why do you put this trail on your Trail Challenge if you do NOT maintain it well?

I turned around and with Charlie in my arms headed back up the valley, stomping and tromping my way through the tall grasses.

I must admit though. The yellow cone flower, golden rod, and some kind of purple butterfly flowers, were quite beautiful. This would be a place to find all sorts of cool insects.

I made it back to the 'Ru and dumped my backpack on the ground. Charlie and I sat in the back end of the 'Ru and shared an apple and he got some doggy treats.

The scenery was in fact quite beautiful and I took these two shots from where I parked with the Infrared pocket camera.



If nothing else, I'd hiked half of the Hay Valley Trail that ran along the road and finished [mostly] the north end of the Billings Creek Trail.

When I got home, I brought up the new updated Trail Challenge Sheet and the on line trail map out of curiosity.

Billings Creek Trail was no longer on their map.
Huh?

Billings Creek Trail was no longer on the Trail Challenge!

Wait. What?

I had been going off from last year's print out and map.

It dawned on me. That trail was a foot trail only. It is a difficult trail and there is no way to get chainsaws in there to maintain the trail. The foot traffic is light. I can't think of anyone else I know that has done this trail on foot.

In the 1990's we rode it on mules and horses and the riders did all the trail clearing. Now?

Well the last laugh was on me.

However.
The footpath still exists and I plan on using it to get to the bluffs above the Kickapoo and enjoy the views that most others won't get to see.

That will teach me for not checking the new updated maps!

But I look at it this way. I still know where most of all the old trails are, so I can explore in areas where there are no other people to contend with.

Because Billings Creek IS worth visiting:

2014 photo


Charlie after our hike. He decided to lay on Rich's chair and sleep.




6 comments:

  1. Poor Charlie being short and all! You are a trailblazer! How many burrs did you pick up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No burrs as this trail has been maintained as a natural prairie area which really surprised me. I think they mow or burn it every few years. Nice prairie and valley to visit in the winter or the spring. I'll go back for sure and find that crossing!

      Delete
  2. Well, that sure was an adventure!! I suppose it is one less trail the powers that be don't have to maintain, that most folks wouldn't take anyways. But still...why not just designate it as "very difficult" or whatever. You found beauty regardless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right. I wouldn't want to carry a chain saw over a mile into the dead fall from one end or try and carry one over that stream.
      However, when we rode it, the guys all carried rolled up 'chain' saws that could be used like buck saws. I watched as 4 or 5 riders got down and tied their mules so they could clean up a trail and keep it nice.
      There was a huge level of care used by most riders to keep the Gov't Ground [as it was called] clean and tidy.
      This became a foot trail only in 2000. However, I can still find the old equine trails.
      I wouldn't ever ride them, but the hiking is astounding.
      It was rated by Explore WI as a very difficult trail years ago.

      Delete
  3. I am so uncomfortable in wild areas I would probably have a heart attack if I found myself in that position! You are a trooper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, I was only a 1/2 mile from where the road was. It feels and looks pretty wild though.
      Charlie was the trooper!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.