Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Skies tomatoes butterflies

Sure, a few days ago, I said...the skies almost never have brilliant colors when we have dense fog.


And then...
we have this:


The sky was brilliant and the fog was incredible.

Below is a photo of our main road. In one township it has blacktop and in our township it is gravel. Imagine having this view on your morning commute?
That is the only thing I miss about working early morning shifts, was the drive through the valleys and ridges on gorgeous mornings like this.

Though the valley fog was sometimes pretty intense.


My sidekick, Charlie went with and we enjoyed staying until just before the sun broke through the clouds and then we headed back home.

This was one of those mornings I wished I'd planned ahead to go to the bluff at KVR and watch the sun come up and the valley fog glow below.

The rest of the day was rather boring. Chores and indoor chores.

However, we had BLT's last night and I was rather suprised by the really ugly purple tomatoes that I grew on a whim.

They were huge next to the Beefsteak Tomatoes. Rich thought the purple tomato was spoiled because it looked almost blackish.



The big purplish tomato was as large as my hand! It made for a perfect sandwich tomato.



As I write this and have my coffee this morning, I am watching another incredible sky show.

The fog is creeping up from the valley into our hollow.

The zinnias and the fading bee balm are still attracting insects like crazy. Here are two I saw yesterday in the flowers.




and...


I am new at trying to ID butterflies so if I am wrong let me know!


8 comments:

  1. Beautiful sky! I grow that heirloom tomato. They look a little odd but taste great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BLT's, yummy! Who needs Skyswap with real colorful skies like that. Just gorgeous!!

    I think the first butterfly might be a Silver-spotted Skipper. I could be completely wrong. We seem to have a lot of them this year, so I recently looked them up. See last photo: https://wisconsinbutterflies.org/butterfly/species/112-silver-spotted-skipper

    I lightly started trying to ID bflys last year, so also a newbie. I really like the above bfly website, altho they don't have WI moths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, I will add a note to that effect!
      I don't really know much about butterfly's except they are awesome to watch.

      Delete
  3. Pretty Butterflies! That variety of tomato is huge! I grew one called Cherokee Purple and it tasted just like a Beefsteak :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check the tag on it.

      Delete
  4. Your tomatoes look SO good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:20 PM

    I have been missing the tomato sandwiches this year. Those that are in the pics are some of the best for the savory flavor. Just tomato alone is all I would need. Oh! And the Eastern Swallow tail is right, but you have a Spotted Skipper on the zinnia? ( I don't know my flowers as well as my butterflies..... Everyone has their field of study and passions.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the ID. It is on a Bee Balm flower, and I changed the description on the photo to properly ID it!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.