Saturday, August 06, 2022

Dear Coach

This is written to my Coach[s] from Viroqua CrossFit. Each week the coaches ask us to share our bright spots and that can be in or out of the gym.

So I'm going to share my Bright Spots which are a cumulation of things that are positive that happened not just in the gym but because of the gym.

Friday I was working out with my Coach Angie. Since spring, she has been coaching and helping me work on strengthening and conditioning for my lower spine and hips. 

While I was catching my breath from a Tabata, I told her how much things had changed over the summer for me. I surprised myself this past week while cleaning my old saddle that I hadn't used in years.


The saddle was no longer seemed too heavy for me to lift and set on Sunshine. Wait.

Now that I think about it. I almost never used that saddle since my first of two shoulder surgeries and elbow surgery. Rich always had to help me with it. 

Huh. Did the saddle get lighter, or did I get stronger?

Nearly a year ago I was told I had Severe Osteoporosis in my lower back and right hip. The back was a huge concern. 

It made me want to stop and question every movement I made. How could I feed my equine? How could I carry water? I was suddenly terrified of doing almost anything at all!

My doctor wanted me to only hike with another person for my own safety or take walks only within cell phone range. 

My goodness. Suddenly I doubted everything I was able to do. Suddenly I was acting like a crippled person and second guessing everything.

I was miserable, so I decided to see what going back to the gym would do for me.

The Mobility Class was offered at the gym and I thought that was a great place to start. Then I signed up with a coach for one on one specific training.


What were my goals? 
My goals were simple. Increase my core strength with workouts. Keep my mobility and balance.


I am accomplishing a my goals with Coach Angie. She gives me what I can handle and kept me moving correctly with weight bearing exercises which are exactly what is suggested for Osteoporosis. She challenges me in an awesome way and I don't have to try to figure out what I should be doing. She is constantly evaluating my progress.

What were my Bright Spots for the week?

Doing Mobility with others and seeing individual improvement in others and myself.


Feeling awesome after one-on-one training.


Riding again ~


Exploring on my own again ~





I am proud to say that my CrossFit box makes a difference in my life directly. The coaches and fellow gym members are like family. I can't help but feel positive after interacting with them.


Feeling ME again ~



8 comments:

  1. Fantastic Val you are an inspiration! Keep on keeping on!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:35 PM

    Way to go! Especially love that last photo!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are physically stronger and mentally stronger too. Your positives lift my spirits. Being able to mow my own yard was uplifting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy for you! What a wonderful and positive journey you are on! You are doing so great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it helps me in mind and spirit, so I will continue with it! Thanks!

      Delete
  6. YaaaY, for feeling like yourself again!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps to have a positive person to 'egg' you on! Our 'box' truly has some fantastic gems.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.