Thursday, August 04, 2022

Exploring AI Art

AI in photography? Nonsense, right?
Well, I couldn't resist trying a program that allowed you to type in words and add a photo of your own, then pick a style using wombo ai art. I'd read about it from a review on new AI art which was pondering the relevance or non relevance of new ways of creating art. 

Is it real art? Is it not real art?
The consensus in a way is that it is not 'old' art in a sense but a new kind of art. 

I'm ambivalent regarding that. My conclusion is using AI as a means to an end can be art as long as the 'artist' is in control of manipulating the final piece.

I'm one that has explored computer generated art in the past and enjoyed using it. 

So....


Here is the original photo I used.


I typed in Scary, End of the World, and picked the Malevolent Style.

I didn't expect I'd really get anything I'd like. After all AI isn't really quite art or is it?

The result:

I sort of liked it in an abstract way. But felt I could improve on it tremendously if I used some magical editing skills.

Crop/Resize/a bit of punch added and this was the result:



Still neat but not quite there. It needed something to tell more of a story and create a feeling.

I put it in DxO's Analog app and gave it some minor adjustments and a partial 'dirt' texture.


Clearly, my Grand daughter who is a gamer, would appreciate the final result. Dystopian, end of the world, creatur-ish, scary, out of the world...strange.

I stopped there because it struck me with the emotion of slight discomfort. 
Perfect.

I thought I'd try another one. I uploaded this with the key words: Forest Love and picked the Arcane setting.





Edit:




I tried an edit with a double exposure using the very same photo at the start of this blog. 

It's okay but I can think of better shots to use. 
This was an experiment in using DxO's analog double exposure edit which allows you to do this effect easily. 
It works quite well.



I couldn't leave well enough alone so I wondered what would happen when I used this shot:


This one was a bit too gloomy, but the result from the text I typed in was interesting. Instead of a forest, it looks like a city on doomsday.


I upped the 'influence' of the original image and got this which ended up looking like a painting with subtle tones.


It is sort of addicting to type things in and see what happens. The end result isn't always wonderful, but it is fun to see what happens.


Yeah.

You can tell that yesterday was hot, muggy, and awful! I spent the late afternoon inside mucking around with ideas and art exploration. 


Too dang uncomfortable outside.



7 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:19 AM

    Amazing! So far out of my ability.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wombo art is easy, I can do it with my phone and just type in words. It is like a game in a way to see what appears.

      Delete
  2. I think it's art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am on the fence still but it sure was a lot of fun doing it.

      Delete
  3. I have never heard of this app. I will need to investigate. You have some great creations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I figured it must have been too warm to be outside! You just keep having fun! Some of those photos would make great book cover and yes it is art!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:17 PM

    very nice. You can get lost in those programs editing your photos. I like the results though.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.