Sunday, July 03, 2022

Garden Stuff

I did not do the big vegetable garden this year. Instead I have been depending on the Farmer's Market and a local co-op store that sells fresh produce from nearby farms. Walmart produce has been 'worser than awful'. 

I am going to purchase some veggies to freeze and dehydrate later this year so I will be set for our winter crop of veggies.

However we have three tomato plants in some rather ugly containers on the pallet garden.


In the slats in front there are cosmos and some other flowers for later fall flowers. On the other side I have Verbena. It doesn't like this garden as much as I hoped but next year I'll try something else.



The ugly green tub is a delight. I have coleus and a really beautiful geranium that I've never seen before [pointing up]. The leaves are beautiful in two tones of color and the flowers are very delicate looking.

On the porch I have some hen and chicks in this neat pot given to me last year for my birthday by my neighbor. I thought the hen and chicks died off over winter. Surprise!


I have hen and chicks all over the place and they are all doing this neat reproducing thing. I might just have to make a hen and chick garden somewhere. I have them growing in stumps and several other rather drab containers.
I even packed the holes in the stumps with dirt and then plopped the hen and chicks on the wood. I have so many that I will have to make some plans for next summer.


Below is another pie plate garden. I found an old pie plate and tossed some nice dirt in it. The little plants were over wintered in the house and replanted this spring. I need to pick some more moss to use as mulch. 


Oh! I see a little dragon peeking out from one of the geranium pots!


My first garden 'statue'. A T-Rex eating garden gnomes. And...then garden gnomes napping just below T-Rex. This just makes me chuckle.



Another very large pot on the porch with stone crop sedum and that beautiful delicate geranium. 



I took nasturtium seeds and planted them in the bare spots between the bugleweed plants that were devastated the winter last year. Lack of snow cover allowed so many plants to die. However, right now they are making a very strong come back.


I planted these for my friend in Mobile AL. When she lived for a short time in Massachusetts she had a garden with so many of these. She misses them now as they don't do well in her hot climate. I take photos of these and text them to her. They started to blossom on her birthday.

Tired of it yet? Her is my Lego person I named Mirth. Her smile is infectious!


I love her stocking cap and pigtails. She looks happy holding that bright nasturtium!

I'll stop here because I don't want to bore anyone!

The Happy Table is coming along, I have to wait for another dry day to try a light white wash on it and then top it off with a polyacrylic sealer. The photo below is after I started working on this side of the table. I did some free hand drawing in pencil and then filled it in with black paint.


I had coffee and breakfast out here the last couple of mornings. 
So nice to have a pretty outdoor spot to relax and eat!


Have a safe and fun weekend everyone. We will be staying home and enjoying our home and gardens. Most of the yard is done and the rest can wait until the rain is done and it dries off again.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:30 PM

    Every time you have a picture that is a close up... I immediately look for the hidden toy or character that will be hidden or hiding in it. Fun stuff! Now where did you find the T rex eating Gnomes? That seems like such a novelty item, I'm sure you didn't find it at a big box store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually found it on Amazon under garden statues. I just thought it was so hilarious, I had to have it grace my garden.

      Delete
  2. I, too, enjoyed the T-Rex dining on gnomes while the others took a snooze! I have vegetables in pots and some old water tanks. I'm not able to care for a large garden now and something is better than none. I like what you have done with the table, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know of one person that saw that in my garden and merely pursed her lips. I suppose she thought it wasn't appropriate...that was years ago.
      I was going to fill an old water tank too for more veggies. I may do that next year and put it near the house.
      So much easier to stand up and weed isn't it?

      Have a wonderful day.

      Delete
    2. It is! I ignore people who purse their lips.

      Delete
  3. Your little people and animals are delightful. My gramma always had a pie plate garden. I will have to start looking for a pan at flea markets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never even thought of a plate garden until I saw the prices of little dishes for Fairy Gardens. I love fairy gardens, but like to make my own Not Fairy Garden. After all, little dragons like flowers too! :)

      Delete
  4. Your table is so cute with the birds and branches! Your flowers look good! Hens and chicks reproduce like crazy and are fun to have in pots or pie plates...I have seen them in old boots hanging on fence posts:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh! That is a cool idea. I need to figure out if the hen and chicks like sun or shade or a bit of both. Then I can start a garden for them in a container.
      They would be great for fun little toys!

      Delete
  5. You've got lotsa fun stuff growing & your happy table looks great!

    Those are some healthy hens & chicks.

    I had a retaining wall with different hens & chicks growing all over it. They were Brads favorite part of my old gardens. I transplanted the few that survived after we moved here. They are easy keepers, but they do need some care. It is harder to get them to grow on the retaining walls I have now. Brad used heavy landscape fabric underneath. I keep chucking dirt in the crevices *^* I also made a hens & chicks living wreath back in the day. It perished. Hard to keep watered & alive. I was going to grow them in our old barn boot planters, but I can't bring myself to cut the boots!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.