Monday, July 25, 2022

Books and Beans

I heard about this book on a radio broadcast and since the name of Luck is not a common one, I turned up the volume and listened.

The story takes place between Luck and Milltown Wisconsin during 1945. I read some excerpts on line and decided to give the book a go. I am half way through it and I can say I am pleased. 

I recall so many of the places described by the author. The Stokely's plant, the train stations and the trains which disappeared sometime in my childhood.
We spent the summers just southeast of Milltown.

I recall picking cucumbers and taking them to town with Grandpa. We watched as the cukes were dumped into a sorter and your batch was weighed. 

There was more money for the cukes that would make good pickles if I recall properly. 
I picked a lot of cucumbers with big adult rubber gloves on. Our reward was generally a trip to the lake to go swimming. Sometimes Grandpa would give us a dime to go spend at Ben Franklins in Milltown.

Grandpa would tell us over and over the story of him working on the concrete steps to the new Milltown Bank when the bank was robbed. I don't recall much else of the story and don't even know if it was real. But as a little kid, I was impressed.

I imagine the farm that Milo ends up at is one dairy farm I know. It isn't, but in my mind, it seems similar.

I didn't spend summers there until the 1960's. It is bringing back so many fond memories. Truth is, I never wanted summers to end and I never wanted to go back to the Chicago Suburbs. 

In short, I am enjoying it.


I found a wonderful source for my veggies at the Farmer's Market. My Grandmother would be horrified that I purchased my green beans instead of growing them myself. However, at the price I paid for picked and cleaned green beans? 
Priceless.
I purchase what I want and process the beans for freezing or dehydrating. It is so much easier! 

The Farmer's Market gives me time off the farm where I can visit with friends at the same time. Last week I took Charlie to the Market. He had a blast and was so well behaved. Of course, he was a conversation piece too.

The produce is fantastic and delicious.

This week I purchased 4 pounds of yellow and green beans along with Swiss Chard, lettuce, new potatoes, onions, and cucumbers ... all to the tune of $12. 
My Lego friends helped me cut up the green beans. I saved out a fresh meal for us and processed the rest. I'll have about 14 meals of green beans put away for winter.



 I couldn't pass up the strawberry pie that the Mennonite Bakery had for sale. Her pies are not sickly sweet like most pies. This year I am getting smarter. I am purchasing two pies each time I go and sticking one in the freezer for special occasions over the winter. What could be more refreshing in December than to have a Rhubarb Strawberry pie?

I'm including this photo of Charlie. It is shot through the little path in my east flower garden that is glowing with beautiful little zinnias and Blazing Stars. He was annoyed at the bugs that were dive bombing him.



The little path he was on.



Not such a great cell phone photo, but here is the patch of zinnias and 4 o'clocks.




11 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:08 AM

    Your gardens are doing so well, and I love the photo of Charlie! A fresh strawberry pie in the winter will be divine! I have started three books and have not finished one yet....just can't get motivated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Last year I purchased a pumpkin pie in the fall from this woman and we had it at Christmas. It was delightful!

      Delete
  2. Being a neighbor of WI and growing up in St. Paul I know these places. I don't have a farmer' market anywhere near me. When I lived in St. Paul there was one weekly at the end of my block. Move to the country and nada. I can see why Charlie would gather attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent some time in The Cities as a kid too. My dad's relatives were there, but I preferred that old place by Half Moon lake not far from Little Balsam and Milltown.
      Fond memories!

      Delete
    2. Your book sounds interesting! And I love farm markets. I am busy freezing for winter. I do bake my own pies and I agree that some pies are just too sweet. Strawberry Rhubarb sounds delicious right now! My brother sold his house which had a huge rhubarb patch . . . .

      Delete
  3. You have such a good memory, and memories. The Farmers Market is the best of both worlds for you!

    Our cukes are yummy this year. I am also freezing produce, beans, pea pods, orange and yellow carrots. No tomatoes or peppers, yet.

    After many years of trying, I finally got rhubarb to grow for me. We sunk a big tree tub and planted it bareroot. I cut enough rhubarb yesterday to make a second pie for Brad. It's his favorite. Never thought of adding strawberries. Hmm. Does your combo pie have cinnamon or crust on top? Just curious.

    Your flower garden is pretty! I weeded the larger four o'clocks in my bfly garden yesterday. Looks like some did bloom, or are about to :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *orange and purple carrots (not yellow)

      Delete
    2. When they bloom in the evening, go out and stand by them and enjoy the incredible scents! They also bloom all night and in the morning close up when the sun strikes them.
      I usually plant them around the house so I can smell them in the evenings and mornings.
      So delightful!
      Enjoy!
      I love multi colored carrots.

      The rhubarb pie does have a crust. I have rhubarb/strawberry and rhubarb/raspberry! YUM!

      Delete
  4. I really like paths in gardens. You flowers are growing great. The rock edging is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an enjoyable read for you! That is such a cute photo of Charlie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished the book and started to read it again. I miss my time near Luck and Milltown as a kid!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.