Saturday, July 02, 2022

Daze of Summer


We are so lucky to live in such a beautiful area. I have to drive or walk to the ridge to see a sunrise view like this. I can also see a more limited view in the meadow north of our house.

We had a dense fog warning on Wednesday and I thought it might provide me with an interesting landscape.


It was pretty neat. As the sun rose, the fog got more intense. I wished I was on the bluff watching this, but I knew the drive to there would have been horrible with the low river valley fog of the Kickapoo. Driving in semi darkness in thick fog is no fun.



There was the sun...and then...it got very thick!


One of the cool things that occurs where I live is that I can go to the highest ridge point and watch the sun rise up. Then drive a quarter of a mile and watch it rise again. When it is done on the ridge, I can go home and watch for it to come over the trees. 

Thursday morning I noted that there were supposed to be some clouds in the sky early. I took the 'Ru and headed towards the end of the dead end. This spot is generally pretty nice for sunrises in July and through early October.




I am thrilled to say that this year the fields to the North and East are planted with soybeans. That means I can watch sunrises unobscured by 9 foot or taller field corn.


The gnats were absolutely vicious even with the gusty winds. I was able to jump into the car to avoid them and then jump back out to take a shot.

Finally I decided enough was enough and headed back home. I stopped just before I left the ridge and as always, was pleasantly surprised.

The swallows had awakened and were getting down to business!


I rarely go up to the ridge any more in the evenings which I used to do when I rode every night with my mule Badger. 
I miss those summer nights of me sitting on my big mule and watching the sun go down.

I do however, enjoy those mornings when I get out and enjoy the world as it wakes up.


There is nothing quite like a new sunrise to raise the spirits.

9 comments:

  1. To say you live surrounded by beauty is an understatement. You took some fabulous photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. In 1996 when I moved here most people didn't know about our secret beauty. Now of course we attract a lot of tourism.

      Delete
  2. That is an outstanding set of photos taken on the ridge. The colors were so great and I can imagine jumping in and out of a vehicle to take pictures too. I am looking for the moon tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice. I think I saw that the moon would be a waxing cresent tonight and that if the fog here clears I could get up and see the Milky Way or just wait for early morning and go gaze at the predawn skies.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful Val!! We have not had fog yet this summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have fog here often because of the deep valleys and hills.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous8:17 PM

    Such wonderful photos! I do love capturing the sun rise over the Iowa Farm land whenever I can. Something about the Sky being full of Pink really captures me.
    Don't you have it when the Gnats are bad? Ugh... In Iowa in the early spring, they have a serious hatch. By mid summer the Dragon flies begin to swam and eat them... We love Dragon flies. They are a marvel to watch when it happens too! The dragon flies swirl about in one area for a half hour as they eat the gnats that ruse out of the grass. It is pretty cool. And keeps that annoying gnats down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful series!! We've had a lot of fog lately, and gnats.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.