Thursday, July 21, 2022

Night out

Nah, not that kind of Night Out.

Instead I sat on the porch for a while after dark to watch the sky. I figured the clouds would obscure the stars and the Milky Way so I was content to sit for a bit in the warm night air and rock on the porch.

Charlie thought he'd go in after he listened to the Barred Owls hooting. 

I thought I'd spend a little time playing with light painting. I wanted to highlight the night sky and the trees in the woods to our west of the house.

My experiment with light painting with my headlamp. 



Then I walked to the driveway to look where the Milky Way should be appearing and took a 15 & 25 second shot.

I did this partially 'blind' in a way because with the naked eye and the clouds, I wasn't exactly sure of what I was getting. [I learned a little bit later to use the 'Boost' feature in the Bulb/LiveView Modes to sort of see what I was shooting at.]

I may have gotten some meteors? The upper arrow points to two downwards streaks.
The lower arrow points to where the Milky Way should be.



Then the clouds moved on!

and...then,
there it was! 
Looks like a meteor particle was zooming through also.
Bonus!
It is hard to see those little streaks of light, however if you click on the photo you should be able to see one little streak in the upper right quadrant of the shot.

I hadn't intended on looking for the Perseids, but perhaps I did find them!
They are supposed to be starting and getting stronger until mid August.

I think this may have been my first time 'catching' a meteor!



Once the clouds moved on, I took several shots of the MW and even tried one of those fun shots where I look up with a head lamp on. The shots really didn't turn out well. But here is one. 

I am standing in our driveway not far from the house looking up towards the ridge. My Subaru even glows in the headlamp glow.

There are so many things to learn about I night photos and adding light. The headlamp actually has a nicer beam to it when the humidity in the air is higher. LED lights turn up bluish.



I wonder if I had some glow sticks twirled them around? Wouldn't that be sort of fun and crazy? 

I am practicing at home so one day in the few weeks, I can try this near the ponds at KVR, or the old dam.

These night shots are not easy. Fortunately I have a feature called Starry AutoFocus which helps quite a bit. I use a 12mm lens. For my camera the ISO is at 1600 and I often use a feature called LiveView to find where I will shoot as the camera 'boosts' what you can see through it. 

I still can't quite get the hang of the right colors for the night sky. 
Clouds are orangish from the light in the towns or farms in the distance.

I like my star skies to be more bluish and cool toned.
The photos are generally pretty noisy, but as technology improves as well as a good Denoise app, it doesn't look so bad.

For this shot of the house, I pointed the camera northwest and gave it an 8 minute LiveComp. This feature takes an initial shot and then the camera adds any light as it changes for the next 8 minutes. 

That is Olympus's work around to standard star photos which have the photographer taken 100's of shots of the stars and then put them through another program which 'stacks' them together. 

I like this feature for so many things.

I tried several times to combine star trails with a bit of light painting to show the house and trees. Most of them were just bad... and a failure, but I think I did get one decent effort.

The middle pine tree is dead and reflected the bluish color of the LED headlamp.




Still, it was fun and I learned a bit more. 
I'd like to try this at one of the covered bridges at KVR.

That is a goal I'd like to complete this summer.

One last Milky Way shot in a 
cooler tone.




I like this one best as it makes me think of galaxies and star travel. 

There certainly is something to be said for watching the stars at night. I eventually went inside reluctantly because I knew I needed sleep.

It was a great night out!

Enjoy the Perseids if you can find a dark sky. The full moon this year will blot out the peak time for the meteor showers. 

I used:
Olympus E-M1 Mark III
12mm lens 
f 2.0
ISO 1600
Different exposures for different shots.

Tripod

10 comments:

  1. Cool! You can uses flash lights for some painting with color at night, one time we put some colored lenses on flashlights. Had the boys swirl the flash lights all over it made for some cool photos:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did that years ago and 'painted' a tractor with blue, red, and purple lights...and one bright white light. That was fun. I should try to find an object like that to do again.

      Delete
  2. I point and shoot, so this is Greek to me! I do like the images, the sky is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, there is absolutely nothing wrong with point and shoot. I carry one all the time because those cameras are the best for grabbing something in an instant!
      I've always wanted a 'shot' of the Milky Way and have tried and failed over the years. But I keep learning as that is my hobby!
      Thank you.

      Delete
  3. As you know, I absolutely love your kinda night out!

    I am fairly certain you caught Star link (dotted line) on the lower left of your first light painting photo.

    Night sky shooting is best done by just hanging out and seeing what appears (or not) in the sky. Like you did. Says the person that rarely just hangs out in the dark. Even tho I love it.

    Night sky & light painting processing is whatever you prefer. Like every other type of photography. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and you captured a lot of beauty at night. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! I was just learning and practicing. I wonder if I could ever get the stars or the MW reflected in one of KVR's ponds? That would be cool.
      Sometimes I just love nights....!

      Delete
    2. Milkyway reflections are awesome! You most likely can accomplish that at KVR, just have to figure out when & where to stand (obviously). Of course there is the tree blocking factor. Of which KVR has many.

      I have a paid app (Plan it Pro) that gives you more details than you want to know, for planning night shoots. Or maybe that is more details than *I* want to know. There are other photo planning apps, some free. I haven't come close to mastering my app. Might help if I actually use it LOL!! You Tube tutorials help some. I just want to go outside and be wowed. Without all the techy planning schmanning stuff. Takes all the fun out of it for me.

      Looking forward to seeing your KVR Milkyway reflections!!

      Delete
  4. You captured some great shots. The stars maybe should be my next goal with my camera. I don't know how.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if there is a night sky setting that you have on your camera. It is also hard to focus on the Milky Way or Stars at night.
      Your moon shots are incredible!

      Delete
  5. I know nothing about photography except to push a button, but your photos are magical! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.