Tuesday, June 09, 2020

I'm not afraid to say it...


Payroll Updates: Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday 2019

I normally do not say a word regarding politics or the state of our country. 

Recent events have brought back memories of the civil rights movement, Vietnam protests, the National Guard opening fire on Kent State, Jackson State College, South Carolina State College....
The riots in Chicago...

I was 7 years old when Dr. King was in a jail and wrote those words in a letter.

I didn't know much other than what we saw on the news at night. I didn't like it, I didn't understand it. I was far removed from it.

Recent events have brought that back and now I am trying to understand this feeling of discomfort. Why I wish I were there protesting. Where did our country go so wrong?

I can't answer that. I live a comfortable life and it makes me feel uncomfortable that others do not. Easier to igore it. Avoid it.

But I am done with that. The events since the death of George Floyd have made me angry and incredibly sad.

I don't have the solution.
But I am done being quiet about it.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly."

Letter from Birmingham, Alabama jail, April 16, 1963.
MLK

3 comments:

  1. Social problems should not involve riots, looting and burning. Just my opinion...I am sad for the people in Minnesota who have lost their business to burning and looting. I suppose it will go on all summer. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:37 PM

    I think it is important to keep in mind the difference in motivation for the protesters in contrast to the looters. With that said, I do think that sometimes when something is so wrong that complacency needs a wake up call. It reminds me of a time I was babysitting and the child was roughhousing and would not stop even though I repeatedly ask her to since I was being hurt. I got the attention of that little girl by lightly swatting her on the butt. She stopped the roughhousing and we continued to play and have fun. Sometimes maybe society needs a slight swat on the butt to get the attention of the complacent and implement real change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. What is it that America failed to hear? ... MLK 1967.
    I do not condone rioting and looting. I do not condone violence.
    I do support this movement.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.