Friday, June 26, 2020

Pandemic Play

What can I say? My closest neighbor and I call ourselves the Lockdown Ladies. We come up with ways to socialize distantly.

We talk with our electric fence between us. When we have something for one another we have worked out the Stump Exchange at my place or a designated spot near her house.

Her children love adventure and love going to my creek.

So I worked out a game for our two households that includes 'no contact' and lots of fresh air. It ties in well with learning for both myself and the neighbors.

We call it Treasure Hunting. An old game. We write clues down on paper and leave it in a plastic bag on the Exchange Stump. She texts me when they are ready for a creek walk and I stand outside and wave. 

Sometimes the clues include a type of tree. Sometimes the clues include the names of fossil rocks or fungi. We include upstream and downstream. 

Yesterday I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out a couple of clues the kids left me.  


Each child takes turns writing clues. I can see that from the handwriting. I have to say that it is a delight to have this 'game'. I get to spend time in the creek hiding toys and items, and they get to splash around in the cool waters on a hot day!

The game gives each household a purpose. I can get creative with these old toys and they can too.

Yesterday I was thrown by a couple of clues. I actually resorted to tracking the bent grasses and weeds to ferret out where the Truck was hidden.
They were clever, I was clever too!


It was not an easy find as it wasn't right in the creek but the description was a Great Fallen Tree by the Orange Target. If I'd read it properly the first time, I wouldn't have had such a hard time with it!

I searched high and love for the Creepy Doll without a face [these toys are left in the forest and apparently a squirrel or some other varmint decided to chew on its face.]
The Teddy Bear in the tree was pointing to the Creepy Doll which was 'upstream' from there.

So I looked in the area where the Teddy was pointing his face. I searched up stream and around to no avail! I was going to give up. But I went and stood in front of this sapling and pulled up the photo of the Teddy. HIS arm was pointing behind him!

How insanely clever!


The Very Creepy Doll was exactly where the Teddy was pointing.

Now it was my turn to hide the items. 

I used this time with the toys to experiment and get my photography fix for the day. The rest of my day was slated for my workout, cultivating the garden, mowing, and weed wacking.


The Pink Dozer is
trying to remove a log.
I think it may be too Big!


That Pink Pony
is resting on the 
Large Oak that is
bent over 
the trail!


Meanwhile, the lonely
Teddy Bear
decides to sit and 
chat with the 
blue 
Stegosaurus,
downstream from the desk.


The John Deere truck
has gone to work.
It is building a
dam just upstream from
the crossing path.
[Maybe you should stop and 
help him build a dam?]



This poor fellow was building a
dam too to make a
tiny waterfall! 
I think he fell 
into the creek!



This part of the creek is so
strange!
The Very Creepy Doll 
likes roots and rocks not 
far from the tree with 
huge roots!


Percy prefers a nice safe 
rock ledge to sit
on.
One time being lost
 in a flash flood was enough
for him!


Crazy Zombie Doll is hiding.
Not far from the place where the
rocks look like stairs.


The Orange Dino has decided 
to build a rock fort.
He thinks his brother the
Green Dino was picked 
up by a raccoon!

And once again, it is your turn!


3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:48 AM

    A fun summer game for everyone involved, although I do wish a raccoon would finish off the creepy doll. :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids absolutely delight in the creepy doll! They want me to plant a tiny bushy plant in the hole. Gross but somehow appealing to the kids!

      Delete
  2. I am certain the kids enjoy the game as much as you do, what a great activity:)

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.