Sunday, April 12, 2020

Skunk Cabbage and other things


The Skunk Cabbage one of the more odd plants...

It took me many years to figure out exactly where these plants come up in the spring each year. 
This is in the valley floor where I first discovered them.




Yesterday though, I took a reroute of trails and followed Charlie. Lesson learned  ~~ sometimes just wander with the dog to find new areas of interest.

I found a depression in the land above the Big Spring and creek that held more Skunk Cabbage than I cared to count. 
Bonus!


This was just a small sampling of the amount of plants that were there. I had planned on hiking all the way to the back valley to see if the Skunk Cabbage was still coming up in two spots back there. 

Marsh Marigold at the Big Spring!



I got sidetracked by looking for Hepatica and searching for Blood Root.

Charlie and I headed up the 4 wheeler trail that we used to call "Mule Killer Hill".  We named it as such as it is the steepest hill around and when we had rambunctious young mules that were acting out, we'd simply climb the old logging trail with them.


This hill doesn't look intimidating in the photo, but let me tell you, even a human in good shape gets challenged by this long steep hill.

Midway to the top, I found Hepatica.


It isn't easy to spot as it is so low to the ground. If we get a few warm sunny days the forest floor will be covered in various hues of pinks and purples with Hepatica and Virginia Pinks.

After a rest at the top and a couple of dog treats for Charlie and some water for myself, we headed across the 'old' section of the forest. It is on the ridge and doesn't have much undergrowth because of the heavy canopy of the old forest.


From there we went out to The Point. I have actually figured out how to use my smart phone to operate my little red camera. So I set the camera on a log and did this...


Yes I wear camo. It has great pockets and doesn't show dirt!

And there is my sidekick!


The view down below...


From there Charlie and I headed over to the ice cave. 


Here is where we hit the jackpot in Hepatica!


I could have stayed there forever....




I find these plants so beautiful. Perhaps it is because they brighten up spring and it is something I look forward to finding after a long winter.


However my Supervisor expressed a bit of boredom. I admit though, he has become pretty patient with me.


It was time I head back home and get busy making the brownies I'd promised I'd make Rich for his birthday.

I also had to call the nursing home for him so he could talk to his mom.

I'd seen enough to know that Spring was coming!

That is, until I glanced at my phone and discovered a Winter Weather Advisory had been issued for us.

And so it goes.

 And yes, ... I know how very lucky I am that I have this out my back door. It is a Naturalist's Dream come true.

Have a wonderful Easter.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Easter! The snow missed us:) Lovely Spring flowers:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did get snow, but not very much.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.