Tuesday, April 07, 2020

People waved & other things

On Sunday morning I was at the grocery store just after 7am. Our town is not large. The town itself has a population of about 4 thousand.

We have a hospital and clinic, a main street, a Walmart, a regular grocery store, and a Food Co-op.


I thought I'd shop early and not have to deal with crowds. This store does have Senior Shopping. Two weeks ago I did this too and found that it is a perfect time to go. Sunday at 7am. Even better, if it is raining. No one likes to shop early or shop when it is raining.

There were about 3 other customers in the store. 2 wore masks. I wore the one I had done instantly with a bandanna and hair ties. I felt awkward at first and then I got down to business.
The store was well stocked and I got potatoes! And Sweet Potatoes! The lettuce looked as though it had been a bit abused, but I got some anyway.

I thought I'd grab a pizza for one of those nights, a quick supper after working all day cleaning up pasture.

Was I ever surprised!
I purchased two pizzas for 'emergency' suppers when I didn't want to cook.

I filled the back end of my Subaru.

That job was done. I got home and unloaded/washed the items, the car, hands, and did my due diligence in making sure I didn't bring home any nasties.

Then I had coffee with Rich. I looked up our hardware store to see if they had updated their shopping to online. They closed two weeks ago but people can call in and order for pick up. They supply feed and agricultural items too so they are essential in our area.
To my surprise, the site was up and running. So I ordered some Pasture Pro to help combat the invasion of Burdock, a garden fork [our old one broke and the cost of a new handle to fix it was the same as purchasing a new one...since I am not handy at repairs, I got a new fork], and some seed.

The site said that my order would be ready in 3 hrs and 10 minutes later I got a text to pick up. On my drive back into town I saw couples out walking hand in hand, or parents with their children, or people with their dogs, all walking on our sunny nice morning.
Suffice to say also, there was almost no traffic on the road.

Everyone I passed waved. I waved back. Their smiles were real and these were people out enjoying a morning stroll. No one was walking with their heads down staring at their smart phones. It was almost odd in a way.

~~~~~
I went for a hike in the afternoon. I took the .22 that Rich had with a scope to do some target practicing. I love the discipline it takes to shoot a distant target. I did joke about shooting squirrels for supper and we had a long conversation about that. Rich had to shoot squirrels to supplement his family's dinner table. I recall my mother saying the same thing.


See that orange blob? That is the target and it had a piece of black tape in the center. That was what I was aiming for. I settled in at the school desk and took my time. Two shots on the tape, three shots next to the tape on each side. I could do it. However the rifle is too large and heavy for me, even though I am accurate with it.
I took the time to clean and oil it before I put it back in its case. I got out Rich's father's bolt action squirrel rifle and cleaned and oiled that as well. It was something that Rich and I could do together. He directed me [I know how to clean a rifle...but it was important to get him interested in doing something!]
The rifle is a Mosseberg Model B .22.

I looked this model up and it was made from 1930-1932. Apparently these are worth something I guess but usually never found in very good shape. Not so with this little rifle. It is in excellent shape.
It is perfectly sized for a small person and it is open sited, which I like better for a few reasons.

Well.
Wasn't that exciting?

Lastly, I hiked up to the top of the ridge and stopped at the leek patch.


I dug up a bunch of the larger ones to take home and dehydrate.

I washed them in the creek before heading home.

One interesting thing I spotted in the woods!
A green stink bug!
I wished Allison could have been with me, but with Isolation and Social Distancing as the new normal, she and I haven't been able to go 'bugging' at all.


Be well.
Stay safe.



1 comment:

  1. Glad you got stocked up with a minimum of contact with others! Yeah for some target shooting! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.