Saturday, April 11, 2020

Public Lands...

I went hiking....

with a friend and we practiced being 'distant' and hiking at the same time. Charlie led us and led the way most of the time.


This photo is from the top edge of this rock...points down....


and then since my friend is afraid of heights, Charlie and I went to admire the view and do a little dance!


After weeks in 'solitary' it felt like I had the whole world at my feet.
It was amazing how it felt.

There were actually quite a few vehicles parked at the trail head when we got back. 40 State Parks and Natural Areas have been closed by the Governor because of vandalism and trash.

I hope that our areas don't suffer the same consequences as we are far more rural. However I got messages from others saying they wanted to come...and I noted that if it was further than 30 miles or a half hour drive ...they really are NOT supposed to travel.

Now there is the issue. I feel for those trapped in cities and suburban areas with no outlet. Overcrowding, vandals, and general disrespect are awful things to do to your own natural areas and state parks. At one time this year I was considering myself too isolated from the rest of the world and thought about how nice it would be to be nearer my son in a more city like setting.

And today I wonder if our part of the state will see its public lands closed. Our County is taking it day by day. We have 4 county parks that are amazing for hiking, all it takes is a few bad apples.

I am ever so MORE grateful that I am not in the city or suburbs. I can walk out the back door and have peaceful moments in our creek bottom and hike a fairly large swath of unpopulated land. In the 20+ years I have lived here, I've only run across people twice. Both times it was because I 'let' them see me.




We must respect our lands for what else will we have left???




1 comment:

  1. I am sure we will see closures soon too. lucklily my brothers and I have 60 plus acres to roam:)

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.