Wednesday, April 08, 2020

An Un-day


I woke up to a second day of incredible fog. I thought it would be fun to see what the infrared camera captured in the thick fog.
I was surprised at the amount of light I did get!

The bark of the trees actually reflected an unforeseen light back to the camera.

The green pine needles turned white in the black and white version of Fred in the morning paddock waiting for his breakfast...the yard reflected white also.


When the sun broke through just before the rain started...


the whole winter pasture and sky looked amazing!
I took a similar shot with my regular camera and it did not pick up the sky detail like this did.

The rest of the day was dreary and grey with about 1/2 an inch of rain.

Neither Rich or I slept well the night before so we took naps. I don't often do that, but Charlie convinced me that taking a day nap while reading a book with him cuddled on my legs would be perfect.

When I woke, I really wasn't in the mood to do anything at all and the day was still quite dreary. I decided to let my list of to - do's wait another day while I took a day off.

I think my mistake the night before was reading an article about a doctor in Chicago and his account of putting people on ventilators. Of trying to calm them, to suit up and do so many procedures each night. And then watch them on monitors as they respond or don't.
The story was sobering and gut punching. Just the sort of thing I like to read.

But I shouldn't...not ever...ever read something like that before going to bed.
I didn't sleep and when I did it was fitful with dreams of breathing machines and doctors with face masks...
of never being able to touch or hug someone again if they got sick.

Of how this virus has de-humanized us in so many ways. I did finally sleep towards morning. But the night was a nightmare.
I finally found a good book and dove into it until my eyes were too heavy.

Tomorrow is another day.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:41 AM

    I have been avoiding as much news as possible for that very reason. Charlie is a smart dog to convince you to take the day off. :j

    I continue to make masks as fas as I can but yesterday I got so frustrated I took a very brisk walk outside. It was warm even if windy but I really appreciated the sidewalk instead of 60 mile an hour traffic.This has been a good move for me.

    Did your sewing machine part ever get there? If not and you need a mask I will send you one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parts came yesterday but I won't be going to town for a week or two now. If I go for anything it will be for gas for the mower and 4 wheeler. Thank you Mary, you are wonderful to offer!

      Delete
  2. I don't like to think about sending anyone off to the hospital alone and not being there when they die. I try not to think about it. It was a full moon too Far Guy didn't sleep well but I slept like a baby...cooking shows!
    Your photos are hauntingly beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.