Thursday, January 02, 2020

Little Tiny Stuff

Yesterday morning there was enough humidity to have a small hoar frost. I saw the sun glinting through the trees and realized that shiny silvery glow I saw was frost!
I think the mules were a bit surprised as to how fast I tossed out hay into their feeder and trotted up to the shed to stash my hay 'sled'.
I grabbed the little red camera and took off.




The burdock sported little frosty crystals.


See the little hooks? And the crystals?

Pretty cool right?

Barbed wire fence:


Multi flora rose thorn in the woods above the creek:


I guess I am always pleasantly surprised every time I take a little walk through the woods and down around the creek.


I sat on a rock and listened to the sounds. There was a mossy rock at my feet. See that arrow?

Now look at the crystal!


As a side note:

Just so you know, this isn't always an easy feature to use but it sure beats trying to set up a DSLR camera. It took me about 4 or 5 shots to get one that I wanted.
When in Microscopic mode the camera takes fairly small photos. Something like 5MB. I wanted a larger print of one of the crystals and finally did work out a way to make it clear AND large enough.

Had I just tried to make an 8 by 10 print it would have turned out noisy and spotty.
I found a work around to that and printed out a nice photo of a snowflake.

The RAW files are much larger but I think Microscopic Mode defaults to a jpeg file.

All right, geek stuff aside, I did find it just perfect for FB, blogs, and other places on the internet.

My favorite of the day was the one below.

This was the middle portion of a twig that was laying across a small rock.


Here is how the twig looked when I pulled back a bit:


I was pretty amazed at how this turned out as I used the 'In focus stack' feature and this was hand held.

Yep, that is a tiny twig with frost growing on it.

The Tiny World is delightful and I am having a great time finding little things on some of these short winter days.



If you suddenly and unexpectdly feel joy, don't hesitate.
Give in to it.
~Mary Oliver

3 comments:

  1. Fun shots! That camera amazes me:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a nice little camera, it doesn't 'like' snow and bright skies with vast contrast in the photos. Sometimes it gets a bit blue or has color fringing. But all cameras have some trouble with bright snow and bright skies!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:43 PM

    Love the pictures, especially the microscope mode ones.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.