Thursday, January 30, 2020

Challenges...


This is the map of part of the Kickapoo Valley Reserve. I took the map of the southwestern topographic map and overlayed it onto the Tromp and Chomp running route that KVR put together.
The trail run can be an 8 mile run or a 13.1 mile run. I can say I am not a fan of half marathons so I won't even try it in a trail run.

It has been so many years since I even attempted something like this. But one of my CrossFit pals was talking about it and I decided a goal for Spring would be a good idea.

Now this sounds totally insane for me right? I went out the other day for a 'run'. Let's just say it wasn't a run like 7 or even 8 minute miles. That train left MY station a very long time ago. I left any devices that could record my 'time' at home and went out to see if I could still enjoy a 'run'.
Funny thing is. I followed my son's advice and I ran, toddled, jogged, moved...whatever you'd like to call it for 2.5 miles. When I struggled hard on a hill, I slowed to a hard fast walk and recovered to go again.

When I reached our mailbox, I felt really quite good inside and outside. My feet still felt light my legs were not heavy. Nothing was broken!

Okay, two miles and a half won't get me down an 8 mile trail run will it? So I ran again yesterday. Only a mile, as our CrossFit workout in the morning was a killer workout.
The first half of the mile was a struggle, like jogging/running through soup. The last half was light and easy.
I picked up the mail and headed down the slippery driveway thanking my ancestors for good knees.

My son Eddie, has done many trail runs and he is advising me on how to approach this goal. Run a bit, walk a bit because the terrain won't allow you to actually run when you are going over boulders, roots, and through mud.
And I have hiked these trails over and over that are on the map. I agree. Parts of Little Canada can be beastly and require my hiking skills.


These are some photos from a past winter hike...I was incredibly amused by the trail markers...
Horses upside down and broken bikes. Does this mean it is a really difficult trail?



A swift hiker can do well in a trail 'race'. But my goal is NOT a race against others. It is a goal of can I do it?
Can I get set this goal and achieve it just before I turn 64.
I like challenges and goals.
That is how I live my life.

No runs today or tomorrow. Perhaps on Saturday or Sunday. Unless I can get to KVR and hike this trail again. It is a fun one.


2 comments:

  1. You could start on the trail and after a mile go back and then keep increasing:) I cannot run...I have no joint in my left ankle..I wiped it out in 1979. I am lucky to have a foot to walk on! I dream about running:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I do hike these trails a lot, so I'll do a few walk/trot/hike adventures along them for fun. Ouch on the ankle joint and I keep thinking how lucky I am not to have lower limb problems!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.