Saturday, April 20, 2019

Work out of the day

I know my subjects here daily are all over the map. One day photography, another day something else. New experiments in Infrared, hikes, goats, farm work, dealing with an ill husband, and so forth.

That is how I operate. Last week was very tough and things didn't improve much this week at all. I felt myself being drawn into the dark hole of his depression and it scared me.
So put an extra effort to drag myself out of bed and get things done by not checking my emails in the morning with a cup of coffee. Instead I had coffee and went outside to take care of critters as the sun came up. Twice Charlie and I just took a walk to the ridge top and back to get rid of the cobwebs in my head.

I went to CrossFit every other day and this worked out well for me. I literally dragged myself there Monday feeling quite guilty for not being there for a whole week. But the snow/ice/rain/wind storm of 3 days kept me home anyway.
I did my WOD and felt refreshed enough to grab a Kona Coffee and some donuts for Rich on the way home. I was super charged and did book work and spreadsheets and watched as gloomy cold weather settled in outside as well as inside the house.

Wednesday was another workout day. Something fantastic happened. Coach Josh watched me prep for the dead lift and encouraged me to go up in weight. I was supposed to be able to lift 80% of my body weight for this. I kept adding a bit at a time until I was at 90 lbs. I was to do five reps of three with rest in between. I did it.
I did it.
And I did not feel exhausted. Coach looked at me and smiled. He gave me a thumbs up and announced to the rest of our crew that I'd PR'd with the dead lift. There was applause. I felt pumped.

Friday was even more special. Our work out consisted of Kettle Bell Swings, a 400 meter run, modified sit ups and repeat the workout as many times as you can in 25 minutes.
Sounds brutal doesn't it? After the third round the Kettle Bell Swings were a huge effort, I used my 400 meter run to catch my breath and loosen back up for the next round.
I blew through the beginning of the 6th round and sprinted the 400 meters, well as hard as I could. Something from my race running days whispered sweet nothings to my legs and I increased the stride and picked up the pace.
I literally flew [well, in my mind] and headed towards the door when Coach Luke called out the last seconds.

I made it inside and dropped next to my Kettle Bell and caught my breath. Sure I was almost done in, but the excitement of the 'chase' was there. For a few moments I thought for sure that I was not going to be able to do much of anything else all day.

Then I got a text from my neighbor. *Soccer at Washington Park 2:30 Adults vs kids*

I did my town errands and informed hubby that I was going to the Friday soccer games.

The point was, I was refreshed and renewed from a tough work out. I felt on top of the world.
I know it is due to the endorphins released into my body from a hard work out.

Endorphins are produced by the brain which trigger a feeling of a positive feeling, not unlike morphine. Your brain gets a positive buzz for up to 24 hours in some cases.

I think I even produced some extras while playing scrimmage with kids that are easily 50 years younger than I am for about two hours at our 'pick up' soccer game.

Yes, I woke up stiff this morning, but still in a great mood.
I think the sunshine added to that.

Plus the allure of going out to the woods at some point today to find some spring wildflowers. Or perhaps the thoughts of riding a mule....on their first spring ride.


Kudos for WODS.

8 comments:

  1. You are incredible!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are just ways of coping while being a caregiver. I used to run and compete years ago but got burned out on doing the same thing all of the time.

      Delete
  2. Good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. LOL! And then come home and do chores right? :)

      Delete
  4. ohhh Dutchmens Britches...how lucky are you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found another plant yesterday, but will go search for blood roots this morning. Hoping to find some soon!

      Delete
  5. Exercise and nature sure help you make it through the tough times in life. I don't know want to think what life would be like without those two things.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.