Saturday, April 06, 2019

Playtime

I have a younger neighbor with 3 children ages 5 and up. On Fridays she started meeting up with other moms and their kids to play an hour of soccer at a playground in town before the kids had to go to soccer practice.

I went last Friday and had a blast running with the kids and I even went to watch the kids do soccer drills after the 'free' play time.

I asked and was invited to come again this week. I'd pulled a muscle during the week but still wanted to go. I'd play to my ability.
There is something very inviting to be able to just go out and play. To me it was more like the games of kickball I'd played as a kid.

Last week we were the only people there. 4 adults and 6 kids. We laughed hard, played hard, and had a wonderful time.

This week something pretty neat happened. The original players were there. Another mom showed up.
Then a girl wandered in slowly and joined the game. Soon another boy stood off to the side and gazed at us on the field. He was asked to join in. From another direction another kid showed up, he joined in.

Two other kids took up places on the playground equipment and watched the adults against the kids and the chaos and laughter that ensued.
Someone in a vehicle stopped for a few minutes to watch also.


Playtime.
Just good ol' playtime. No electronic devices [I had to run to my car and grab my pocket camera so I could take this shot]. Just play.
Imagine that.
Kids and adults from 5 to 62 just playing.


2 comments:

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.