Friday, October 19, 2018

Not Puppies and Kittens!

I have to say that I have the most interesting children living at the 'top' of our driveway.
Okay.
Mom and Dad are pretty darn cool too.

The kids got new pets.
And I am not talking about the 4H goats that they have. Nor am I talking about the chickens. Allie showed her chicken in open class at the fair because she couldn't show in regular 4H. Logan showed his goat in open class for the same reason.

I'm not talking about the cats that they have.

Nope.

Ever hear of Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches? No, I didn't either. But do you recall Allie, my neighbor's daughter who became fascinated with collecting insects for her Clover Bud 4H project?

This summer she discovered that fireflies ate slugs. So she collected them. And showed them to me...


When a little girl presents you with so much enthusiasm how can it not interest you? Allie went to a presentation to learn how to 'mount' her insects properly to show them at the Fair.
Can we just say that she is a budding Entomologist?

And Kudos for mom and dad for allowing her to explore this interest without getting grossed out.

Allie let me pet her Hissing Cockroaches.


I did not find them revolting, but actually very interesting. They eat dog and cat food and fruits. Any kind of fruits!
YES.
I did hold one and did not freak out. They were cool. They do hiss loudly.


I am amazed.

Then Carson pulled me into his room to introduce me to Sissilia. She is a Royal Python aka Ball Python. Known as a Ball Python because the will curl into a ball.

Here Carson takes Sissilia out and she curls around his wrist like an exotic bracelet. He told me it was OK to touch and pet her. And I do. Like the cockroaches ... I feel no revulsion at all. The snake is warm. Carson coaches me on how to pet her properly.


Not a great shot but here is a book image of the python and Sissilia.

We move upstairs were I can take turns petting and holding the Hissing Cockroaches and touching a python.

Let's not forget Logan's rabbits. They now live outside in a hutch. Their names are Medusa and... uh oh... OH! Skull! I didn't get their photos, but they are beautiful rabbits and soooo sooo soft!

Carson has a bath drawn for Sissilia.
It has to be just the right temperature. Baths are important as Carson tells me that Sissilia may have slithered through poo and a bath will keep her clean and healthy.

Whoa.
Stop the presses.
Basil.


Okay....she is .. just a puppy an ordinary doggy!

How on earth could there be a normal pet? Oh...gosh. Why not!

So while Carson and I were supervising Sissilia's bath, Basil peered over the tub edge.


Sissilia turned herself upside down as if to play dead to the sudden surprise.





I found a snake to have an incredible personality and learned so much from Carson regarding their behavior.

I hope I can go back next week and hold her.

I was able to witness a 'feeding'. I didn't record it. But watched with the whole family as we witnessed how a constrictor ate. 

It was not gross or disgusting. But a lesson in nature...and very educational.

Madagascar Hissing Beetles. Ball Python. Bunnies.
Goats.
Cats.
Basil [Charlie loves free time rough and tumble time with her...]

I am blessed. 


3 comments:

  1. I would have passed on the snake, I have an unreasonable fear...who know from when...perhaps I was too young to remember...so I think you are very brave:) Yeah for the kids having lots of pets! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a bit but as he handled her I realized there was nothing to be afraid of and the snake felt nice and not icky as I expected. I won't start to really like snakes though. I just found it fascinating!
      Yeah to mom and dad for allowing the kids to express themselves in cool pets too!

      Delete
  2. We are the lucky ones! You guys are the coolest friends ever. "Neighbors" is too distant a word. Love that you are so patient with the kiddos while they tell you all about their critters. Thank you for encouraging them! <3 <3 <3 LOL I still think it's funny that Basil the Fluffy scared the snake, but I guess she is the scary-toothed mammal. The predator. ;) You're welcome to hold the beasties any time, or course!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.