Monday, January 01, 2024

Outside Exploring

Yes, I did get out for a bit even though it was cloudy with a mix of drizzle and rain. I walked along the creek bottom to see what I could find. I like to observe how things change and what is going on in the woods.

There is a pool that is about knee deep or so next to a rock wall. During the summer it was nearly dry, but with some of the rain and moisture we've had, it appears to have more water in it!
I was so happy to see the little trout swimming around.

I love to just sit and watch them. If they notice you, they flee to a darker shaded area of the little water hole. So I waited a few minutes and then they came back out and began to swim around. 15 second video.




I found the partially fresh carcass of a deer. It was mostly bones but there was enough color in the bones to indicate that it had only been there a couple of days. 

The birds were happily cleaning what they could off the bones.


I climbed out of the creek bottom and made my way along an old deer trail when I spotted a old birch log in the wet snow. I recall reading somewhere that one could start a fire in the woods even with wet birch.

I had some time so I decided to try that theory out. 
I picked birch bark off the log and made it into strips than piled it in the snow on another log.



I had a lighter in my bag, so I thought I'd try making a tiny fire.


Imagine my surprise when it worked! I watched the little fire catch and burn and then stomped on it. There was no danger of it spreading anywhere. However, now I knew if I could find birch [which is common in this area], I could always build a fire if I needed to.

This was my New Year's Eve day adventure. I had about an hour or so to use up and so I hiked through our woods and enjoyed fresh air.


I hope to start out the New Year once more Exploring. After all, I love that the best. 



7 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a lot of trout! I saw a bunch at Pewits Nest and it made me wonder how they survive Winter in such shallow water. Assuming it doesn't completely freeze.

    I thought you were going to rub the birch bark together to start fire lol!

    Happy 2024 exploring!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a lot of trout. I went out today and found another spot but didn't video it. I was in for a hard and demanding hike to get done in an hour and a half for a work out. I did take some photos of the old trails I was on in the neighbor's land.

      It was so refreshing to get out and really go at it!

      Delete
    2. Oh hah hah! I've never rubbed sticks together to make a fire. NOT even gonna try that! LOL!

      Delete
  2. You could go fishing! I have always wanted to try primitive fire starting....maybe next summer when it i s warmer to sit on the ground for the long time it will take me...some pitch off pines should work too. You had a great walk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also carry some toilet paper wrapped around dryer lint in a plastic bag for very easy fire starts. I carry waterproof matches and of course a lighter. I guess I've been out in the forest too long!!! LOL!
      Hubby always has made sure we were prepared when we night hunted years ago. I learned from an original Mtn Man.

      :)

      Delete
  3. Anonymous5:11 PM

    Every day is an adventure for you.....and Charlie! Hope Rich is doing well. Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before we moved here we always had a wood stove. When I got birch, I would peel the bark and save it separately for fire starting. It's the best!
    Always something interesting to find in the woods!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.