Thursday, January 18, 2024

Should I?

Keep track or not?


So far this year I've gone on a walk/hike every single day with the exception of two days with the dangerous wind chills. On some days I remember to take my cell phone and activate a free app called MapMyWalk. 

I don't always remember to activate the app while taking my daily hike/walk. 

When the temps got up to 11 degrees I thought Charlie and I should go check out the old ridge road on the neighbor's land. Part of that old ridge road is used as a snowmobile route in the winter.

I thought the footing would be nicely packed and I wouldn't have to break trail.

I activated the app and thought it would be fun to see exactly how far it is to the creek and back using the road and the old snowmobile road.




The footing was not great. Charlie decided about a mile in that he wanted to be carried and we trudged all the way to the creek. AND I mean trudged. The trudging was downhill and as I trudged I thought, this is going to be very difficult going back up.
Normally with good footing, this is an fairly nice hike, yes it is uphill but it is not difficult. It is a good cardio workout.

We did stop at the creek where I wanted to look for some beautiful frosty formations along the water. The snow was over my knees when I climbed down to look for ice and frost.

I got a few shots to prove to myself that I was there and decided to head back up the hill.

With the drought, the creek has really been diminished. It flows, but the grasses and weeds that grow along its bank have taken over.


Still, I like to just go down into the valley and listen to the water. The sounds it makes are so pleasing and relaxing.


Here is Charlie standing guard on the trail while I climbed down next to the water to try and get a shot of the frosted grasses.


Frosted grasses and multi flora rose growing into the creek:



Returning UP the HILL was

demanding. And exhausting.

I figured it would be with the slightly churned up trail. IF I'd worn snow shoes I may have had a better grip. 

I decided I wasn't in a race and took my time.



Of course, I've never mapped out this walk and checked the details carefully. From where the mile numbers are in the map ---> 1 and 2, to the creek is a descent of 300 feet in a half of a mile. One section is very steep.
In 2/10 of a mile the ascent from the creek is 100 feet.

Huh.
No wonder I was struggling! Did I mention that I was carrying Charlie too?


When I got to this point I heard a snowmobile coming so I scooped up Charlie and stepped off to the side of the trail.
What a nice surprise. The fellow that was traveling, stopped and asked if I was okay. Did I need a ride somewhere?

[OMG...did I look that bad???]

I replied that we were fine, just out hiking and I lived about a mile away. 

When he continued on I looked up and saw a Sun Halo!

Cell phone shot....



Well indeed! That alone made the whole trip worth it.

When I got home Charlie and I stretched out on the couch and snuggled. 

So in the end. I wonder if it would be fun to track my daily mileage -- when I remember to activate the app. 

My second wondering...

Snowmobiler to friends: So out in the middle of NOWHERE, was a lady with a tiny dog and a backpack walking out of the valley on the trail! Was SHE nuts or what?


So far with my 'tracking' this month, I've had 16 miles of hiking just around home. I missed those subzero days for obvious reasons.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:28 AM

    Doesn't Charlie wear a coat? Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No he doesn't, he has a blaze orange vest that we use once in a while but since he is so short, he scoops up snow into his belly and it freezes. Especially when he trots through the creek!
      He has a double layer coat. The outer coat sheds water, the inner layer is super insulated.
      His feet will get cold but his body rarely gets cold.
      I've tried a jacket and it just holds the snow against him.
      :)

      Delete
  2. I think if I had been the snowmobiler I would have said the same thing! No chance I would be, I am not a fan of snowmobiles. :) Why not track your daily milage if all you need to do is turn on an app? If you remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't care for them either as they make a ton of noise. This guy's machine was quiet though!

      I bet he had some thoughts as to me being a nutcase!

      Delete
  3. I don't blame Charlie for wanting to be carried! And you won't have to go to the gym for weight bearing exercise this week.
    That's pretty steep. But worth it for the photos you took..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! This was after my workout. But I am only going once a week for a one on one session. Otherwise I do stuff in the living room.
      Carrying Charlie is and extra 15 lbs I think! :)

      Delete
  4. Did you look like a damsel in distress? Seems a nice thing to stop and ask:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so. I had a backpack, water, pistol, and little dog. I had a face mask ... googles and a fur hat. :)

      Delete
  5. Anonymous7:52 AM

    We snowmobilers are not all obnoxious people. Yes, they make noise. All machines do. That was really nice of the guy to stop and ask. No doubt he shared his encounter with others :) It is rare-ish to come upon walking/skiing humans and even dog sleds, but it does happen.

    In more frequented areas they post (ex. Pedestrian) signs. With that said, we only day ride and stay off the trails during high volume times with potential careless drivers. I wouldn’t want a public trail just yards away from my house. Many do in surrounding counties.

    No doubt you would enjoy snowmobiling and the breathtaking vistas it offers.

    I would feel similar about your encounter. I dont enjoy any form of surprise humans while enjoying nature. It is quiet time for me. Aurora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trail is one mile to the east of us and another mile to the west of us, it goes around our land. Most of the time we don't hear it. I used to go and watch them go through the creek years ago. Now they put in a culvert....which washes out each spring.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.