Thursday, January 11, 2024

Snow! Snow!

 ...and more snow???


These shots are from Monday before we got snow...
Charlie and I went looking for some cool tree roots. 

This is a cottonwood tree in the creek bottom...
this tree is ancient and its roots extend 40 feet
or more along the creek.


I think this is an oak tree. It lives in the
dry run where I found the cars.
Charlie is investigating the area
under the roots.


Another grand cottonwood that
is ancient.
This one sits on the fence line
between my neighbor to the 
west and I.
The drop down to the creek here 
is about 20 feet.

This is one of my favorite spots to go to.


Next stop was further west where Charlie and I sat to watch the trout swimming back and 
forth.

It is the black dot on the terrain map is where we stopped to
watch the trout.
The elevation change between my house and the creek is
about 150 feet.
The distance is about 1/4 of a mile. I'm often asked if the creek
would ever flood our property. No it won't.





I should compile photos of this spot
over the years.
It is another 'spot' that I almost frequent every day.
The changes over the past 20 years are amazing.
Hmmm, sounds like a cool project for a subzero day!


Another curiosity. This was a
deer stand built in the meadow
in 2003. The cattle left the land
in 2005 and the forest
has reclaimed the area.

This is in the meadow east of our land.


I find it a shame that people just left their crap laying there.



This is what we woke up to on Tuesday morning.


The mules are currently eating hay out of the feeders and also browsing and digging for grass in the summer pasture. They seem to love searching in the deep snow for delightful tidbits under the snow.


The next shot is off our driveway. It is much cleaner looking this year than it was last year. Driveway maintenance is really important when your driveway is a long hill.

The hill rises 200 feet to the ridge where our mailbox is located.


We were plowed out by yesterday late morning. I'm really happy that the same guy who did the work on the driveway will also plow it for us. He knows this driveway better than anyone else.

Hubby did it for years and so did one of the former neighbors before he moved away.

When I was working odd shifts, I'd park on the ridge during a snowstorm so I could get to work. Sometimes I'd stay in town with my MIL overnight so I could be close to a plowed highway.

Everyone deals with winter in different ways. 

Charlie and I love it.

44 second video of Charlie enjoying snow and mousing!


Today, Thursday I head to town for a meeting with our Financial Advisor and an Estate Attorney to go over a few things. It is never too early to keep your ducks in a row.

We have a Winter Storm Warning just issued for tonight through Saturday. I've polished up my snow shoes and pulled my x-country skis out. We'll be ready for action.

This weekend we are expecting blowing snow and much colder temps. I am bringing out my skunk hat and my goggles. Looks like winter has finally arrived and will be making a Big Statement.

12 comments:

  1. Hahaha Charlie, so cute! He is gonna need snowshoes if the snow gets deeper!
    The Big Statement is here.... the next 2 days will be brutal and then el Nino will kick in but only for a couple days.
    Stay safe on the roads- everyone forgets how to drive in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, I can stay home now that I am caring for hubby. I can choose not to go somewhere and avoid bad roads.
      We are headed into some sub zero stuff this weekend!

      Delete
  2. Charlie gave me a big smile! We only have a dusting of snow but it's cold. Winter fun has arrived for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad Charlie could give you a smile. He makes us laugh all of the time.

      Delete
  3. A winter wonderland! I'm so glad you have your driveway in order and a guy to plow it. What a relief, I'm sure. We keep having big snows in the forecast and nothing. Not that I am complaining. Now we are watching for this weekend. Latest I heard is that it is going north of us. We shall see. Ducks in a row is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, he came again on Thursday night to plow another 3 inches and will be back this weekend after this mega snowstorm. It is going to be one heck of one!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous4:29 PM

    You got a lot more snow than we did. It rained here, disappeared and is coming back soon with more high winds and crazy weather headed our way. So far, our winter has been very dark and mild....guess it's about time to get some real weather. Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure hope the weather doesn't get too crazy for you.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous4:30 PM

    LD.....I really like the shot of the mules. It is a classic view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy the mules so much! They keep us going!

      Delete
  6. Wow, who knew Charlie had springs in his legs! Too cute!!

    Snowshoed for the first time this season, late today. It was warm enough for the labs to come with. Us humans will bundle up when the cold blast hits, but our dogs & horses will be stuck inside. The cats have been hunkered down in the barn for a while now. Just heard windchills as low as -35F Brrr! Stay safe & enjoy the snow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fortunate that I live in a 'hollow' where the worst winds won't hit and the forest offers so much protection.
      Yes, the windchills could be nasty!

      Oh yes! If I hadn't caught that 'fox' leap Charlie did, no one would believe me that he could do that! He can really get some air!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.