Saturday, January 13, 2024

What about those mules?


So many folks want to know how my mules fair in weather like this. These animals have lived since birth on the farm and have always lived outdoors. If you understand the way my land lays, you will know that we have nooks and crannies where the winds don't blow. The mules have figured that out long ago and they are free to go seek shelter or stand in the winds.

With that said, here are the girls digging and browsing in the summer pasture after the first snowfall. 


I thought it would be nice for them to have something to do rather than stand around and look bored in the winter pasture. So I opened the gates to one of the summer pastures.

Their heated water is down by the house along with their hay feeders.

Feeding in the winter pasture [this is in front of the house]:


When they are done there, they head to the woods to browse on items they don't eat in the summer. Apparently multiflora rose leaves are tasty in the winter as well as other dried out weeds.


They are bit more exposed to the weather in this area as it is nearly on the ridge. But it is their choice. The browse, they constantly move and graze just like their wild ancestors.




This is a shot from this past summer in the are where they can browse right now. 



And...
when they feel like moving, they move into the woods and stand together in their own little herd.

At 8AM and at 4PM they show up in the paddock at the front of the house and stare at the house until I appear with loads of hay.

I check them more than once a day in cold weather. I stick my hand under their snow-covered coats to feel their body heat. And it is there!

Well, time to get going. So many adventures from yesterday and more for this weekend. I just got texts from my new neighbor asking if I knew of anyone that could help get his truck out of the ditch up on the ridge.
I gave him names of those who could probably help him and one is a neighbor farmer who is also runs a township plow.

Last night all plows were pulled off the roads due to poor visibility and dangerous conditions.

It looks like we will see the sunlight today for a bit while Mother Nature does her thing to remind us about what winter is like.



8 comments:

  1. You really did get a blast of storm! Blowing and snowing is worse than just cold. I used to be a snow plow operator back in my working days (best job ever!) My favourite was when the storm was over and I got sent down the country roads unmarked by wheel tracks and having to guess where the ditches were. My unfavourite was plowing on the commuter roads in rush hour traffic. People actually tried to pass me into the windrow of my plow and couldn't even see where the edge of my plow was! Silly people.
    Looks like the mules are handling everything well, smart critters. I am only blanketing my 2 arthritic horses who don't move around much. Poor li'l Charlie, he's going to need a path!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in traffic, people are stupid! I like the country lanes also. When storms like this were predicted, I just stayed at work and worked for the next shift that didn't come in.
      I got to go sleep in an office in between shifts.
      I lived the furthest away and never missed work b/c of weather. I pre -planned.
      So many folks don't think ahead.

      Delete
  2. Charlie! They do well in the cold with proper shelter, which yours have plenty of. Mine are barn babies but that is because it's what I knew. I think they do better in the cold than the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The old ones eventually won't do well in the cold and severe weather. When I lived in Kenosha, the land was so flat there was no way for anyone to get out of the wind except inside a barn. Mine could come and go in and out as they pleased.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous6:04 PM

    LD..My dad had a herd of cows that lived in the timber and in the winter a valley space below the surrounding hills and it was warmer there. Dad would feed them down there and it was sort of magical to be there in the winter with the sun shining down on them in a valley cove.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my Charlie and his short legs! All your critters look good...they know how to stay warm. Smart animals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We did not get any of the snow that was forecast but we did get really high winds. I was supposed to go to lunch today, but since people are driving so crazy on the wet and windy roads, we decided to stay home. I am more worried about other drivers than the slippery roads!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smart mules. Snow dog Charlie is too cute!!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.